Introduction to the Hospitality Industry
Being hospitable has been defined as “the act of welcoming guest or strangers with warmth and generosity”. When you welcome someone as your guest, you are asking them to become “a recipient of hospitality at the home or table of another.” A guest may not be literally coming into your home or table, but as the frontline representative of the hospitality company that employs you, you are welcoming them with warmth and generosity to a temporary home in a hotel or to a table for a meal in a restaurant.
This course will give students an overview of the vast hospitality industry. We will explore each of the major sectors of this industry (i.e., lodging, food & beverage, gaming, cruise industry, etc.). At the end of this course, students should feel comfortable discussing careers in hospitality; students should be familiar with industry terms and vocabulary; students should have an understanding of the nuances between different industry segments; and students should be prepared to take higher-level hospitality courses within the School of Hotel Restaurant and Tourism Management.
Download the course syllabus for full details about expectations, readings, assignments and more.
- Explain the role of each sector of the Hospitality Industry and how they are related.
- Identify and define the industry terms and vocabulary.
- Categorize the sources of revenues and associated costs involved in each sector of the Hospitality Industry.
- Identify environmental factors that positively and negatively affect the Hospitality Industry.
- Synthesize and evaluate management strategies utilized in each sector of the Hospitality Industry.
- Categorize the historical progression of the Hospitality Industry and identify areas for growth and expansion.
- Identify which careers are appealing and inventory their own individual knowledge, skills and abilities to determine a match for a viable career path.