Skip to Content

International Student and Scholar Support

Change of Degree Level or Change of Major

As an international student, you need to take an additional step if you change your major, degree program, or level of study. You need to update International Student Services and request a new I-20 or DS-2019.

Please complete the I-20 Request Form in our Forms Library. If we need additional information from you, we will send an email to your USC email address. In some cases, you need to provide a new financial certification in order to receive your new I-20--for instance, if you switch from a Masters to a PhD level of study, you need to provide a new financial certification.

If you have questions about whether or not you need to provide a financial certification, you can email ISS at

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.