Joseph Fletcher Anderson, Jr. was born in 1949 in Augusta, Georgia. He served as a Judge on the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolin, a position he was nominated for by Ronald Reagan to replace the seat vacated by Charles Earl Simmons, Jr. He was nominated on September 26, 1986, and confirmed by the Senate on October 8, 1986, and received commission on October 14, 1986. He also served as Chief Judge from 2000–2007.
He earned his undergraduate degree at Clemson University in 1972 before earning his law degree at the University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. in 1975.
Painted by Jan Fleming Smith in 2001.
Located in the Historical Courtroom, 135.