The Carolina Trustees Professorship awards are presented to faculty who are committed to teaching excellence in any phase of the university's educational mission. Three Carolina Trustees Professorship awards are given each year to faculty who hold the rank of tenured full professor. Two awards are presented to Columbia campus professors and one to a professor at another USC campus. The awards are presented annually in the amount of $2,000 each and given by the members of the University of South Carolina Board of Trustees.
Criteria for Selection
- Faculty who hold the rank of tenured full professor.
- Demonstrate a record of teaching excellence in any phase of the universities educational mission (undergraduate classroom, graduate seminar, laboratories, clinical practice, independent study, supervised research, etc.)
- Demonstrate a record of outstanding performance in research and in public service activities.
Nominations may be submitted by students, faculty, department chairs and deans at all USC campuses to the Office of the Provost.
Required Materials for Nominee's File
- Nomination form
- Curriculum vitae
- Short narrative summary of the nominee's teaching performance, during the past three years
- Research accomplishments, during the past three years
- Public service activities during the past three years
- Letter of recommendation from the nominee's immediate academic supervisor
- Two-page statement from the nominee
Files are due to the Office of the Provost by Feb. 2, 2018.
The selection committee uses the award criteria to select the award recipients. The committee is composed of the chairman of the board, the chairman of the academic affairs and faculty liaison committee of the board, the president, the provost, the secretary of the board and the chairman of the faculty senate (who shall be ineligible to receive the reward while serving on the committee).
The winners will be announced at the spring Faculty Awards Ceremony and the award is presented at the spring Commencement Dinner. Recipients of the award will be ineligible to receive the Carolina Trustees Professorship for five calendar years after last receiving the award.