Additions, Changes, and Cancellations
Additions, Changes, and Cancellations
Additions, changes, and cancellations may be requested using the two methods outlined below:
- When submitting changes for 1 - 5 sections: complete the Section Change Request form.
- When submitting changes for more than 5 sections: send an email to email@example.com and include a spreadsheet listing your additions.
Formatting Your Spreadsheet
- Additions: If you need to add a new section, give us the pertinent information in the appropriate columns, type ADD in the CRN field, and highlight only the CRN cell in green.
- Changes: If the section is perfect as it is, remove the row. We do not need to see sections that are perfect. If the section needs some tweaking, highlight in yellow the CRN cell and the cells in which the data is changing. You will also type the correct information in the highlighted cells. This will help us look just where we need to rather than looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.
- Cancellations: If the section is to be canceled, highlight the CRN red.
Special Section Routing
Course prerequisites can be, but are not by default, enforced at the time of registration. If an academic unit would like a course prerequisite enforced at the time of registration, please complete the following:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that prerequisites be enforced for one or more courses. Requests should be made several weeks before the schedule is built for a given term.
- Include the course, the prerequisite courses, and the minimum grade a student must receive in order to fulfill the requirement.
- When prompted, proof the prerequisite rules in Self Service Carolina.
Cross-Listed, Meets-With, and Mass Sections
For classroom scheduling purposes, there is no difference between cross-listed, meets-with and mass sections. For the sections to correctly migrate to the same room we must bind them together like links in a chain. The process for each is exactly the same.
In order to communicate which sections should be bound together, use the following format.
Cross-list the following sections:
- AFAM 331.001 (12345)
- HIST 211.001 (12456)
XLST the following CRN’s (MW 9:40 sequence):
- HIST 101.001 (12345)
- HIST 101.002 (21456)
- HIST 101.003 (31456)
Data Warehouse Catalog and Schedule Reports Guide
Review the Data Warehouse Catalog and Schedule Reports web page to discover answers to frequently asked questions related to Catalog and Schedule reports.
New Schedule Coordinator
As a new schedule coordinator for your academic department or college, you will need access to the following report tool in order to build and manage your schedule.
Data Warehouse Catalog and Schedule Reports
To obtain access, complete the following:
- Visit the Access to University Systems web page and follow the directions in the How to Obtain Access section.
- Once you've reviewed the directions, login to the Data Access Permissions System (DAPS) and select the following:
- Data Type: Student
- Category: Reports
- System or Type: Cognos Data Warehouse
- Description: Catalog and Schedule reports
Parts of Term List
Each course section offered is scheduled in a part of term which represents the begin and end date of the section. For the spring and fall
semesters, the full part of term is 30 on the Columbia campus. Fall I/Spring I are in part of term 3A. Fall II/Spring II are in part of term 3B.
Summer parts of term follow a different format and can be viewed on the Summer Meeting Times web page.
Other Parts of Term
If you require a part of term with dates that do not match the examples above, a Schedule Exception Request (SER) form may be required. View a list of the parts of term to determine if a special part of term that matches the begin and end dates of your section has already been created. If so, list this part of term when submitting schedule changes to our office. If you do not see a part of term that matches, you will need to complete a Schedule Exception Request (SER) form.
Proofing Your Schedule
Self Service Carolina
Review a tutorial by viewing our Proofing the Class Schedule Using Self Service Carolina document.
Schedule Details Report
Download your Schedule Details report from Data Warehouse and review the content on the report. If you find information that needs to be revised, use the following format to communicate your changes:
Additions: If a new section is to be added, give us the info we need in the appropriate columns and type ADD in the CRN field and highlight only the CRN cell in green.
Changes: If the section is perfect as it is, remove the row. We do not need to see sections that we are perfect. If the section needs some tweaking, highlight in yellow the CRN cell and the cells in which the data is changing. You will also put the correct information in the highlighted cells. This will help us look just where we need to rather than looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.
Cancellations: If the section is to be canceled, highlight the CRN red.
Restrictions are added to course sections so that only qualified students may enroll
in a particular section. View a sample Excel spreadsheet that shows how to format your section restrictions.
In this example, you will see HRTM sections listed for the Fall 2015 semester. List each section on a separate line and be sure to include the full information for each section (subject, course, section, and CRN).
The Active Now column is where you should list the major and minor codes that you want to be active on the first day of student registration. Subsequent columns, labeled in the example with the dates of 4/13/15 and 4/20/15, are used to communicate date specific changes. In these columns list which major/minor codes are being added or removed.
The SSATEXT column is where you should list a text message that will be displayed to students in Self Service Carolina. This message is important to convey to students that the section has restrictions and the dates when those restrictions will change.
You can obtain your major and minor codes by downloading the Major, Minor, Concentration Codes Validation List report in Data Warehouse.
Each section has one of three status codes. A section can be Active, Reserved/Admin Closed, or Cancelled. Below is an explanation of each status code:
Active (A): Section is visible in Self Service Carolina and open to registration.
Reserved/Admin Closed (R): Section is not visible in Self Service Carolina and is closed to registration. This status is often used if you anticipate the need for a section, but don't want it open to registration.
Cancelled (C): All section details have been removed. Section is not visible in Self Service Carolina and is closed to registration.
Special Approval is used to limit enrollment in a particular section by requiring that the student contact the department prior to registration to obtain an override. Keep in mind that every student will need an override in order to register for the section.
Types of Special Approval
- Contract Required (CO): Typically, all independent study and internship sections should require this type of special approval. This ensures that the contract is on file before the student can register.
- Department Permission (DP): An override must be obtained from the department before a student can register for the section.
- Honors College Permission (HN): An override must be obtained from the SC Honors College before a student can register for the section.
- IN Instructor Permission (IN): An override must be obtained from the instructor or department before a student can register for the section.
- School Permission (SC): An override must be obtained from the school before a student can register for the section.