The Dean or Lead Dean is responsible for:
- Constituting the search committee.
- Granting permission to advertise.
- Ensuring that the job advertisement is representative of the position and is advertised in appropriate venues so that a strong and diverse pool of candidates is obtained.
- Monitoring the search process to ensure that proper search practices are employed and that a diverse and academically strong pool of candidates is obtained.
- Collecting and providing summary data on all applicants and advertising process (number, gender, race/ethnicity, publications).
- Obtaining approval from the Provost's Office prior to extending an offer.
All recruiting and hiring must be conducted in accordance with the USC Columbia Faculty Manual and related policies in the USC Policy and Procedures Manual. This hiring plan does not provide any exceptions to University or State of South Carolina rules and regulations.
A single search committee will be formed for recruiting a cluster and must include all entities involved in the cluster and diversity among its membership. Additionally, the search advertisement must include all participating units that may serve as the tenure home for the candidate(s).
Approval from the Office of the Provost is required before extending a formal offer for a faculty hire and for each faculty hire in a cluster. A portfolio containing the following documents must be submitted by the Lead Dean to the Office of the Provost for approval prior to extending an offer:
- Endorsement Form. This form must be signed by all relevant Deans and Department Chairs/Directors related to the original proposal and to the final hire.
- Academic Position Request Form. (Form will be available for download at http://www.sc.edu/provost/hiring.)
- Memorandum of Understanding for Joint Appointment, if applicable.
- Curriculum Vita of each candidate.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation for each candidate.
- For hires with tenure, a signed Form A-2 and a complete tenure file.
- Summary of financial commitments for proposed hire including the proposed salary, fringe benefits, and start-up budget which delineates the amount requested from the Provost and the amounts provided by the unit and/or college/school.
- Any other information that the Lead Dean deems pertinent and necessary.
The complete portfolio may be submitted in hard copy or electronically to the Senior Vice Provost Dr. Christine Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure that all documents are clearly marked.
Following the required approval, an offer of employment may be extended in accordance with current University hiring policies and procedures.
Funding decisions are tentative until an offer to a particular candidate is approved by the Provost's Office and accepted by the candidate. Funds will be transferred upon confirmation of the faculty member(s) appointment at USC.