Recruitment and Process for Extending an Offer
All recruiting and hiring must be conducted in accordance with the USC Columbia Faculty Manual and related policies in the USC Policy and Procedures Manual.
Approval from the Office of the Provost is required before extending a formal offer for a Faculty Replenishment Initiative (FRI) hire. A portfolio containing the following documents must be submitted by the Dean to the Office of the Provost for approval before extending an offer:
- Academic Position Request Form (PDF) with Provost’s letter of authorization for position
attached and approved FTE request form
- Statement of Dean’s support.
- Curriculum vita of the candidate.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation or three (3) external review letters for the candidate.
- For hires with tenure, a signed Form A-2 and a complete tenure file, which includes:
- Dean’s recommendation
- Department Chair’s recommendation, if applicable
- Curriculum vita
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Tenure/Promotion ballots
- Summary of financial commitments for proposed hire including the proposed salary, fringe benefits, and start-up budget which delineates the amount requested from the Provost and the amounts provided by the unit and/or college/school.
- Memorandum of Understanding for Joint Appointment, if applicable. If the joint appointment crosses colleges, a Lead Dean should be identified.
- Any other information that the Dean or Lead Dean deem pertinent and necessary.
Please make certain that all documents are clearly marked. The complete portfolio should be submitted electronically to Senior Vice Provost Christine Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the Dean receives the required approval from the Office of the Provost, an offer of employment may be extended in accordance with current University hiring policies and procedures.
Funding decisions are tentative until an approved offer to a candidate is accepted by the candidate. Funds will be transferred upon confirmation of the faculty member(s) employment at the University of South Carolina and receipt of a copy of the signed offer/acceptance letter.