Dual Career Accommodation Policy
Full version of University Policy ACAF 1.61
Purpose: To enhance USC's ability to recruit and retain outstanding faculty and academic personnel. To create a framework for exploring employment opportunities for candidates' spouses and partners across departments, divisions and schools.
Eligibility: Applies to the spouse or partner of any potential faculty or academic administrator being recruited by USC if the spouse is in an academic field. If the spouse is not in an academic field, the Office of Dual Career Employment Services in Human Resources can assist with possible placement within USC or in the community (see http://hr.sc.edu/employ/dualcareer.html).
USC commits to making
every effort to assist with the employment search for spouses and partners of
- Policy designed to assist department chairs, program directors and deans attempting to explore a spouse or partner hire.
- Helps USC recruit and retain talented scholars in situations where employment of the spouse or partner is a significant factor in a candidate's decision to accept an offer.
- Policy does not create any entitlement or contractual rights to employment or to a particular type of position.
- Deans' offices should inform all department chairs, program directors and search committees chairs of this policy.
- All candidates should be notified of the existence of this policy as early as possible in the search process. Current employees should initiate a conversation with their department chair or dean to determine if this policy applies to their situation.
- Language can be included in advertisement for position: "The University of South Carolina is responsive to the needs of dual career couples."
- Primary dean is responsible for coordinating process and contacting other units or schools and the designated individual in the Provost Office.
- Under circumstances defined by the Provost, the Provost will provide funding for a spousal/partner hire if the hire is in the tenure-track or instructor position, if the hire meets the unit criteria, and if the unit faculty are in agreement with the hire.
- Primary dean is responsible for coordinating process and contacting other units or schools.
- 'Bridge' funding of a position for a preliminary period may be possible if relevant Deans provide necessary support.
- Must be an appropriate fit between spouse/partner's qualifications and position
- Offer extended only if strong support exists in target unit or department
- Spouse/partner hire must comply with USC policies and receive all appropriate approvals
Back to Main Family-Friendly Policy page