MPH, MSPH, PhD, and DrPH applicants must apply through the Schools of Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS). Please visit SOPHAS for further details. MPH Professional Online Program, MSW/MPH, and Health Communication Certificate prospective students will apply through the USC Graduate School.
Application requirements include:
- A four-year baccalaureate degree or its equivalent (MPH, MSW/MPH, and Health Communication Certificate); an earned master's degree is typically required (PhD and DrPH)
- Official transcripts from all schools or colleges previously attended
- Grade point average of 3.00/4.00 or higher
- Satisfactory GRE (50th percentile or above)
- MPH, MSPH, PhD, and DrPH: Institution code - 0780 (U of South Carolina Sch Pub Hlth SOPHAS)
- MPH Professional Online Program, MSW/MPH, and Health Communication Certificate: Institution code - 5818 (U of South Carolina Columbia)
- At least three letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional sources
- Resume or CV
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives describing your academic and research interests, relevant work experiences, and academic/professional goals and objectives
- For international applicants, a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – (minimum score of 80 internet-based, 230 computer-based, or 570 paper-based) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Course Type 2 exam (minimum overall band score of 6.5). Non-US institution transcripts must be verified by World Education Services (WES) or equivalent evaluation service. Please submit a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation (WES ICAP).
Additional Admissions Information
Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior MSPH
Potential applicants are required to contact faculty members in their area of interest prior to applying. MSPH applicants should be supported by at least two HPEB faculty members willing to serve as mentors in order to be admitted into the program. You can obtain a list of our faculty from the faculty and staff directory.
Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior DrPH and Ph.D.:
We require that potential applicants contact faculty members in their area of interest prior to applying. Doctoral applicants should be supported by at least two HPEB faculty members willing to serve as mentors in order to be admitted into the program. You can obtain a list of our faculty from the faculty and staff directory.
Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior MPH Professional Online Program
Minimum of two years post-baccalaureate health-related professional experience is required. Applicants may request that significant prior professional experience be considered in lieu of the GRE. Such requests must be made in a document separate from the letter of intent, providing detailed description of the relevant professional experience indicative of potential for success in the MPH program. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior MSW/MPH
Applications must be made prior to completion of first year of study in USC’s MSW program. Statement of Purpose and Objectives needs to be relevant to the MPH program.