Skip to Content

Education Abroad Office

City University of Hong Kong

Area: International Business Exchange
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Term: Spring

The UofSC exchange with the City University of Hong Kong is designed to introduce students to Chinese culture and business practices. CityU is a public research university in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Founded in 1984, it is globally recognized as one of the top institutions of higher learning and research, with the U.S. News and World Report ranking their College of Business as #60 in the world and #4 in Asia. The campus is located in the heart of the city, Hong Kong, noted as one of the most vibrant cosmopolitan cities in the world. It is a leading international financial centre and ranks number one in the world for economic freedom. With its safe and convenient living environment, Hong Kong is a great place for education and career development.

Category: 1, no foreign language proficiency requirement, all courses taught in English

Cost: UofSC resident tuition rates + in-country costs

Requirements: junior standing; International Business major

Students on exchange pay in-state tuition directly to USC and do not pay tuition to CityU. All housing, food, and personal expenses are paid by the student in Hong Kong. While costs at CityU are comparable to USC, Hong Kong is an expensive city and students should plan accordingly, especially if they plan to travel or frequently go into downtown Hong Kong. CityU has estimated that students should budget approximately $1296-$1456 per month for living and accomodation expenses. To get an idea of ​​life on site, you will find on the numbeo website indications on the cost of living in Hong Kong compared to 250 other countries in the world.

As CityU is a multi-lingual university, courses may be taught in English or Cantonese. UofSC students will typically take all coursework in English. Students wishing to take courses taught in Chinese must have successfully completed a minimum of five semesters of college-level Chinese. Students typically earn 12-15 USC credit hours per semester. Instruction at CityU is typically lecture-based and requires students to study independently outside of class. Students are expected to take courses from the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) program. To see courses UofSC students have taken at this university, please reference the Registrar's Course Equivalency Table

CityU offers plenty of additional programming to meet every student's interests. They have over 15 intramural sports teams, volunteer opportunities, more than 60 student associations, and a buddy system to help exchange students become more acquainted with life at CityU and Hong Kong.

Per university policy, all UofSC students will be charged emergency medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance for their time abroad. Contact the Education Abroad Office for more details.

As an exchange student, you may apply for on-campus student residence. Applications should be made online when you apply for your exchange studies. Please note that there is no guarantee of accommodation in the student residence because of limited capacity. Exchange students should be prepared to arrange their own off-campus accommodation, if necessary.

CityU operates on an academic calendar similar to that of the United States. Fall classes (Semester A) begin in late August and end in late November, with exams lasting through December. Spring classes (Semester B) begin in early January and end in late April, with exams lasting through mid-May. A detailed academic calendar can be found here. The final examination timetable will be released to all CityU students by Week 10 of each semester. All exchange students should make flight arrangements only when they receive the personalized final exam timetable from the university. IB students will attend CityU during the spring semester only.

The universiy organizes a mandatory orientation program for exchange students one week before the semester starts. Topics include academic information, visa regulations, course registration, student life, technology support, introduction to student clubs, etc. Each exchange student will be assigned a buddy and are encouraged to contact their buddy before they depart the U.S.

All exchange students must apply for a HK student visa before arriving in Hong Kong. Students should apply approximately two months prior to their arrival in Hong Kong. Students apply directly to the CityU Global Engagement Office. Students wishing to travel into mainland China should also apply for a Chinese visa prior to departure.


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.