Skip to Content

Education Abroad Office

University of Kent

Area: Global Exchange
Location: Canterbury
Country: England
Term: Spring, Fall, Academic Year

!!THIS EXCHANGE HAS CLOSED AND WILL NOT BE AVALIABLE FOR THE SPRING 2024 SEMESTER!! Students wishing to study abroad in the UK are advised to meet with an education abroad advisor to explore other options. 

USC's exchange program with University of Kent in England is designed to help American students gain first hand knowledge of British culture. The program is located in Canterbury, England, an hour and a half south east of London by rail. Canterbury, one of England's oldest and most famous historic sites, has a long history in business and the arts. Situated in the county of Kent, the city is still largely surrounded by medieval walls and is dominated by a twelfth century Norman cathedral - where in 1170 Archbishop Thomas Beckett met his death. Students will attend the University of Kent, which was founded in 1965. 

Cost: USC resident tuition rates + in-country costs

Requirements: 3.0 GPA

!!THIS EXCHANGE HAS CLOSED AND WILL NOT BE AVALIABLE FOR THE SPRING 2024 SEMESTER!! Students wishing to study abroad in the UK are advised to meet with an education abroad advisor to explore other options. 

The United Kingdom is one of the most expensive places to study abroad due to the weak dollar against the strong pound. Due to this fact, students need to budget accordingly and be aware that prices could be approximately double while in the UK.

The program at the University of Kent offers a full curriculum. Students take classes with British and other international students. Students typically take 60 UK credits and earn 15 US credit hours per semester.

To see courses USC students have taken at this university, please reference the Registrar's Course Equivalency Table

The program does not offer organized excursions. Students do have the opportunity for individual travel. Regional travel is offered from Canterbury. Travel to London is a short train ride away, opening travel to mainland Europe and beyond. The University of Kent is also home to a large sports facility and music facility, allowing students to partake in classes, clubs, and organizations on campus. 

Per university policy, all USC students will be charged for  emergency medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance of  for their time abroad. Students will be enrolled in this insurance by the education abroad office prior to their departure. Contact the Education Abroad Office for more details. 

Students can choose to live in residence halls or share a house or flat with other students. Students pay in-state tuition and fees to USC. Housing costs, which may or may not include board depending on the housing option chosen, are paid to the University of Kent. So long as students apply for accomodation by the University of Kent's deadline, they will be gaurenteed housing. 

 Classes begin at the end of September and end in mid December for the fall semester*. In the spring, classes begin in January and can go through mid June, depending on the classes the student is enrolled in. Please note that both spring and summer terms are the equivalent to USC's Spring semester.

*Students who attend University of Kent for only the fall semester must consider that all final exams take place in May-June, regardless of when the student is studying abroad. Students who choose to study only in the fall must be mindful that courses may not be open to them as there are no forms of alternative assessments. Please contact the education abroad office right away if you plan on only studying at Kent in the fall, 

Students will attend orientation around 1 week before courses begin. At orientation students will tour the campus, learn about the support networks that are available to them and finalize their course registration. 

 U.S. citizens who attend the University of Kent for one semester (less than 6 months) do not need to apply for a visa in advance. You will receive a Student Visitor visa at the airport. Students studying for the full academic year will need to apply for the PBS Tier Four General Student visa. Please contact the Education Abroad Office if you have questions.



Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.