SAVE Verifications for Non-US Citizen Students
If you will attend the University of South Carolina and are a legal permanent resident,
H-4 or H-1B visa holder, DACA, or any other type of student who is netiher a US Citizen
nor an F-1 or J-1 student, this page is for you. This information is not applicable
to any F-1 or J-1 visa holder whose certificate of eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) is
issued by the University of South Carolina.
How to verify your citizenship as a non-US Citizen who also does not have a student
- Submit your visa paperwork to ISS via email. Your visa paperwork might be your permanent resident card, EAD card, or I-797 Notice
of Action Approval notice. If you're not sure, send what you have and we will let
you know if it's acceptable.
- ISS will submit your documentation to the federal SAVE Electronic Immigration Status Verification system.
- Upon approval from SAVE, your citizenship will be verified and your registration hold
lifted. This process can take anywhere from 24 hours to 5 business days.
- On the expiration date of the document submitted, your registration hold will be replaced.
You will need to submit updated paperwork before the expiration of your current paperwork
to avoid the registration hold being replaced.
- Resident Tuition Questions: International Student Services does not determine who qualifies for resident tuition
rates. For information about whether you qualify for in-state tuition rates, please
consult with the Office of Legal Residency, part of the University's Registrar Office.
- Changing Your Status to F-1: If you will need to change your status to F-1 during your time at UofSC due to "aging
out," please consult our Change of Status section. ISS recommends that you apply for your change of status at least 1 year
before your 21st birthday to allow for adequate processing time.