Skip to Content

International Student and Scholar Support

Out of Country Travel

Exchange Visitors in the Professor and Research Scholar categories can be permitted to maintain their J-1 status while traveling out of the U.S. while actively pursing the goals and objectives of their Exchange Visitor Program.

ISSS Policy

Professor and Research Scholars can travel outside the U.S. for more than 30 days up to 90 days for work related to their Exchange Visitor Program goals and objectives. Exchange Visitors leaving the U.S. for less than 30 days do not need authorization from ISSS, but they do need the permission of their department.

Contact ISSS at least 30 days before the out of country start date, providing the residential address, work address, program activities, and proof of continued insurance coverage. Please also provide information about any dependents' plans. The Department of State advises J-2 spouse and dependents to accompany the primary J-1 outside the country whenever possible.

The host department must continue supervising the Exchange Visitor while they are outside the U.S.

ISSS will end the SEVIS (J-1 visa) record if an Exchange Visitor departs the U.S. and does not continue their program objectives and activities while outside of the U.S., or if they will be outside of the U.S. continuing their program activities, but do not plan to return to the U.S. in J-1 status.

You will need a travel signature on your DS-2019 and a valid visa. Request a travel signature here.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.