Uof SC Postal Services announces changes for 2019-20:
New efficiencies are coming in 2019-20 for mail service for students with changes made by the University of South Carolina’s Postal Services.
Initial pickup of packages for incoming student Move-In has moved to 718 Devine St. from the Russell House University Union. Students will need their Carolina Card to pick up packages on Wednesday, Aug. 14 (early arrivals), Monday, Aug. 19 (Move-In Day 1) and Tuesday, Aug. 20 (Move-In Day 2). Postal Services will start accepting packages for students on Wednesday, Aug. 7. All mail to students to campus should be addressed in the following style:
Student’s Name (First, MI, Last)
UofSC Mail # (use five-digit assigned mail ID number)
1400 Greene St.
Columbia, SC. 29225-0112
Package pickup will move back to the Student Mail Center on Wednesday, Aug. 21, located in the basement of the Russell House. After Move-In, students will pick up all their mail and packages at the Student Mail Center pick-up windows. Combination-style mailboxes will no longer be used.
Student Mail and Package Services
All students living in university-owned housing and the Greek Village are required to have a USC Mail ID number. The Mail ID number is automatically assigned once a USC housing room assignment has been completed.
You are encouraged to pick up mail and packages from the package pickup window promptly.
Mail ID Assignment
- Go to my.sc.edu
- Scroll down to “Personal”
- Click “View mail assignment”
- Log in with network username or VIPID
Requesting Mail and Package Services
(commuter and off-campus students only)
If you live off campus and you are enrolled in classes for at least one hour per term, you have the option to apply for mail and package services. The commuter mail service fee is $35, and it is nonrefundable.
- Go to my.sc.com
- Click on “View Mail Assignment"
- Sign in with USC network username or VIPID (if required), then the SecureCarolina authentication method
- Click on “Sign up for an Off-Campus Mail Service Rental”
- Complete and submit the “Off-Campus Mail Service Rental Application”
- Upon successful submission, a message will appear with instructions to log in to Self
Service Carolina to pay the $35 commuter mailbox fee.
- Once you login to Self Service Carolina:
- Click on the "Account Information" tab
- Find "Optional Fees"
- Select the "Commuter Mail Service fee" option
- You will receive your mail ID assignment by email within two business days after the fee has been posted to your account. If you do not, please contact Sarah Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail and Package Service Fee
University Housing and Greek Village residents are charged a nonrefundable, non-prorated mail and package service fee each term for mail, package services, forwarding and handling of mail for six months at the end of each term or upon cancellation of University Housing or Greek Village residence hall assignments.
University Housing or the Office of Greek Life will refund or remove mail and package service fee charges from student accounts upon cancellation of residence hall contracts each term based strictly on nonenrollment or withdrawal from the university prior to the official start date of classes each term.
Mail and package service fee refunds or removals from student accounts will not be granted after the official start date of classes each term.
Inquiries regarding mail and package service fee refunds or removals should be directed to:
- University Housing
- Office of Greek Life
Receiving Mail and Packages
All mail and parcels will be signed for by the USC Postal Service upon arrival at USC and entered into our internal parcel tracking system. Students assigned to a USC mail ID number will have a notification delivered to their university email from email@example.com when any letter mail and any parcels are ready for pickup at the USC Student Mail Center.
If you are expecting a piece of mail or a package but have not received an email notification, please check your junk mail folder. This situation can be corrected to receive future mail/package email notifications in your inbox by adding "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your safe sender list.
To claim shipped items, you must present your Carolina Card to the Student Mail Center.
- Freight or oversize shipments:
- Beds (including loft beds)
- Large-screen TVs (exceeding 40 inches)
- Mopeds/bikes, etc.
- Perishable or refrigerated items
- Hazardous materials
- Medications requiring refrigeration. These items must be shipped to and picked up from the Center for Health and Well-Being, 1409 Devine St, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Flower deliveries from florists
- Weapons of any kind
Addressing Mail and Parcels
Mail and parcels shipped via the U.S. Postal Service, UPS, FedEx and DHL are accepted at the Student Mail Center for students assigned to a mailbox. All mail and packages must be properly addressed to your student mailbox to avoid being returned to the sender. Packages cannot be delivered to residence halls.
Proper format for addressing student mail and packages:
Student's Name (first name, middle initial, last name)
USC Student # __________ (assigned five-digit mail ID number)
1400 Greene St
Columbia, SC 29225-0112
Mail and Package Forwarding
Forwarded for six months to your permanent address as shown on my.sc.edu after:
- date cancelled or released from University Housing or Greek Village residence hall contract
- last day of mail service each term
Update or cancel magazine subscriptions and notify your family members and any other correspondents prior to your forwarding expiration date (six months).
Students are encouraged to verify their permanent address at my.sc.edu prior to the above.
These shippers do not forward shipments. Items will be returned to the sender.
Go to my.sc.edu to have USPS first-class mail and parcels forwarded to an international address.
(for mail forwarding to an address other than permanent address)
- Go to my.sc.edu
- Click on “View Student Mail ID”
- Login if prompted
- Click on “Update Forwarding Address”
- Complete all information and submit
Note: Campus mail ID numbers are not considered permanent addresses for the purpose of forwarding mail.