Who Should Apply
In order to be recognized as a student with a disability and receive the appropriate accommodations, you must be registered with our office.
You should consider applying if you:
- have been admitted as a student to the University of South Carolina
- have a documented disability that significantly affects major life functions
- had an IEP in high school
- are a client of Vocational Rehabilitation, Commission for the Blind or other similar agency
- were registered with disability services at another college
You can register with the center at any time. Registration is not limited to the beginning of a semester. However, you cannot register retroactively for grades during a previous semester. The application process is not completed immediately and does take some time to complete, so please register as soon as possible.
Although decisions regarding disability-specific accommodations are made on a case by case basis, review the accommodations that are most often provided.
A Note to Parents
You’ve been there for your student. Now “being there” means allowing and encouraging your student to manage his or her responsibilities, needs and disability. Only the most extreme circumstances, such as those that seriously threaten the health of the student, allow for direct parental or other family involvement.
Waiver to Share Information
Students can sign a waiver in our main office to share information with parents. However, even if the student has signed this waiver, the office may still only communicate with parents or other parties with the student present.