Discover UofSC 2022 organizers are excited to share new details for participants to help you get prepared—and excited—for the big day on Friday, April 22, 2022.
Download the Guidebook App today
We are so excited to share the news that Discover UofSC will have an app for the first time ever in 2022! The app—technically called a Guide—will be available through the Guidebook app on Wednesday, April 20.
Through the Discover UofSC 2022 Official Guide, users will:
- View all the details on every Discover UofSC 2022 poster, three-minute thesis (3MT) and oral presentation.
- Search presentations by presenter name(s), title, keywords found anywhere in the abstract or title, lead mentor name, poster number and more.
- Receive messages and updates from organizers.
- Refer to general information about the day, including the schedule with locations for each presentation session and information on free shuttles.
The Discover UofSC Guide will launch on Wednesday, April 20. To make sure you are ready to download it just as soon as it is available, we encourage all participants to download the Guidebook app today. Here’s how to do it:
- Scan the QR code in the callout box on this webpage or visit the Guidebook website to jump to the Guidebook app in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. Or, open the appropriate app store on the device you plan to bring to Discover UofSC, search for Guidebook, and download.
Once you have the Guidebook app on your device, you will be all set get the Guide on Wednesday, April 20—just open the app, select “Find Guides” from the bottom of the screen and search for “Discover UofSC 2022 Official Guide.” All presenters, mentors, reviewers and volunteers will receive an email on April 20, with instructions and a QR code to get the official guide.
Look up presentations now
Ready to browse Discover UofSC presentations today? We’ve got you covered. The Find a Presenter tool is now live and populated with all the details you need to get excited about presentations, and start planning which ones you would like to visit.
Get excited for the keynote discussion
In case you haven’t heard yet, organizers have re-tooled the traditional Discover UofSC keynote for 2022. Instead of our traditional lunchtime keynote speech, we have a special panel video featuring a conversation among five outstanding UofSC faculty members from a wide range of research disciplines and backgrounds. Our 2022 keynote panelists will also join in the Discover UofSC 2022 event as Distinguished Research Ambassadors. They will spend the day at Discover UofSC, visiting the poster sessions to talk with the presenters, enjoying lunch with participants and taking part in all the features of the day.
The 2022 keynote panelists and Distinguished Research Ambassadors are:
- Gloria Swindler Boutte, Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Carolina Distinguished Professor, Department of Instruction and Teacher Education, College of Education
- Timothy Mousseau, Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences
- Melissa Nolan, Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Arnold School of Public Health
- Mark Smith, Carolina Distinguished Professor and Director of the Institute for Southern Studies, Department of History, College of Arts and Sciences
Discover UofSC 2022 precautions to prevent COVID transmission
By Danielle M. Johnson, Graduate Assistant in the Office of the Vice President for Research, MPH in Epidemiology graduating May 2022
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Discover UofSC organizers are committed to providing a safe, in-person event for all presenters, reviews, mentors, volunteers and visitors at Discover UofSC 2022. This year’s event will mark the return of Discover UofSC to an in-person format at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center and the Pastides Alumni Center. We look forward to returning to a safe, in-person showcase event this spring and welcoming our vibrant academic community from the entire UofSC system. The modifications described below highlight some event changes that will help all participants maximize social distancing to the greatest extent possible.
To avoid close clustering of groups during the event, awards ceremonies will not take place at Discover UofSC 2022. Presentation award winners will be announced on the Discover UofSC website the week after Discover UofSC. We have also opted to have no outreach tables this year in the lower-level hallway, to create more space for participants to move freely with plenty of room for social distancing.
All poster presentations will take place at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center (CMCC), with extra space between poster display boards in each row and between rows, compared to prior years. The Three-Minute Thesis presentations will be held in the Pastides Alumni Center, directly across the street from the CMCC. By expanding Discover UofSC to include the Pastides Alumni Center Ballroom, we are maximizing all available space in the immediate vicinity, which will allow for social distancing to the greatest extent possible.
At both the CMCC and Pastides Alumni Center, boxed lunches will be provided for presenters, reviewers, volunteers and mentors. At the CMCC, lunch seating will be available in the Lexington Room and the Richland Room, with tables spaced 10 feet apart. Outdoor seating at the CMCC will also be available on the upper- and lower-level patios (weather permitting). At the Pastides Alumni Center, lunch seating will be available in Ballroom 3, as well as the outdoor Gamecock Patio (weather permitting).
The event changes for Discover UofSC 2022 were carefully crafted with the goal of lowering the risk of transmission of COVID-19 proactively. It was a top priority for the organizing team to thoughtfully modify Discover UofSC 2022 to increase safety for all. We are excited to welcome everyone to Discover UofSC on April 22, 2022.
12 April 2022