Applying for Capstone Fellows
Current 2nd-year Capstone Scholars will be eligible to apply to become a Capstone Fellow starting in April 2023.
The Benefits of Being a Capstone Fellow
With this distinction, Fellows are able to:
- Include a Capstone Fellow status on their college transcript.
- Continue to apply for travel, research and professional development grants through the Capstone Scholars Program.
- Wear a Capstone Scholars Fellows honors stole at graduation.
- Be recognized at our annual Capstone Fellows Celebration.
- Become a part of an expanded professional network of Fellows.
- Showcase your reflections through your Capstone Fellows ePortfolio and lay the groundwork for Graduation with Leadership Distinction
To join the ranks of the Capstone Scholars Fellows, you must satisfy the following criteria:
- Complete your Personal Challenge each semester.
- Complete UNIV 101 (or other approved course) with at least a “B” during your first semester.
- Attend at least one Capstone Scholars event per academic year (for students entering USC in Fall 22)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Be in good conduct standing with the University.
- Be an active member of a student organization, confirmed through Garnet Gate.
- Participate in a USC program or training that allows you to engage with a diversity
of viewpoints such as:
- Capstone Service Team Civic Engagement Trainings (visit our calendar to learn more)
- Safe Zone Workshop
- Trans Advocacy Workshop
- Suicide Prevention Gatekeeping Training
- Trauma 101 (follow SHS social media to learn more)
- Sustainability Workshop (complete this form to request a workshop or schedule a meeting with someone in the office)
- Intercultural Training
- Social Justice Program
- Student Leadership and Diversity Conference (SLDC)
- Diversity Dialogues
- Diversity Retreat
- *This is not an exhaustive list. If you feel you have completed a university-affiliated experience that fits under this category, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete at least one of the following core experiences:
- Serve in a leadership position on campus which you applied for, were selected for, and/or elected into (at least one semester).
- Participate in any credit-bearing study abroad experience that is approved by the University of South Carolina.
- Conduct undergraduate research (at least one semester).
- Get an internship, co-op or substantive work experience (12 weeks/ 240 hours or more).
- Take a 3-credit hour service learning class.
- Complete the eight-week Capstone Scholars Leadership Program
Reflect on your impactful within-the-classroom and beyond-the-classroom experiences as a Capstone Scholar through the creation of your Capstone Fellows ePortfolio. More information about the ePortfolio process can be found in the application.