Learn about how the university is changing to mitigate the effects of the novel coronavirus and what you can do to help.
Email to Students Enrolled in a Global Classroom - 3/18/2020
On Wednesday, March 18, our students currently enrolled in Global Classroom programs received the following message:
You are receiving this email because you are currently enrolled or have been identified as enrolled in a Maymester Global Classroom scheduled to run during May and/or June 2020.
Due to the increased travel restrictions and rise of travel advisory warnings worldwide, UofSC’s Student International Travel Oversight Committee (SITOC) has made the decision to cancel all Maymester programs. This includes any program that has a start date in May and runs through June 30th. Please note that programs with start dates in July will be evaluated on April 15th, and you will hear from our office and your faculty leader about your July program soon after the April 15th meeting.
As these programs close, please consider the following:
- Your application for Maymester in Symplicity will be automatically withdrawn.
- If you paid the $150 application fee, you will be refunded shortly. Additional communication will be forthcoming specific to your application fee refund, including the timeframe.
- Your faculty leader may decide to move your program to July or early August. Please look for emails from them if that is the case.
- If you need a course during Maymester, please reach out to your academic advisor about relevant on-campus options for the Summer term. Enrollment for Summer will begin in mid-April, and the first add/drop deadline for a full refund is May 12th.
If you have any questions about your Maymester program, please do not hesitate to reach out to your faculty leader or Study Abroad Advisor. We are all working remotely so that we can continue to offer support to our students.
We wish you a healthy few weeks at home.
Frequently Asked Questions: Coronavirus and Global Classrooms
1. Which Global Classrooms are currently cancelled?
A team of university officials, including Study Abroad’s Assistant Director of Global Health, Safety, & Security, Student Health Services, the Provost’s Office, and the Student International Travel Oversight Committee (SITOC) met on March 16th to discuss the outbreak of the respiratory illness COVID-19 worldwide. Due to the rising levels of warning from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Department of State (DOS), Global Classrooms running from May 1 through June 30th are officially cancelled. Global Classroom programming that is scheduled to start at the end of June through July will be reviewed at the April 15th scheduled meeting.
2. Will I receive a refund?
If you are currently on a faculty roster for Maymester which is cancelled and is classified as one of the aforementioned programs, you are eligible for refunds as follows:
- Study Abroad Application Fee: If you paid a $150 fee with your Global Classroom program application, you will receive a refund of this fee. You do not need to contact our office to request it, but we do ask for your patience as we set up our systems for this transaction. Please note: If you are interested in transferring your fee for a later study abroad program of any kind, please contact Rachel Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program Fee: If your faculty leader has collected program deposits or additional program fees from you, you will need toapproach them for a program fee refund. These fees are not paid to UofSC, and each program will have a slightly different refund. The faculty leader will be able to outline what the refund process will be.
- Tuition: Tuition for Global Classroom courses has not yet been collected. Please disenroll from the Maymester course before May 10th to avoid fees.
- Airfare: If you have booked airfare individually, you may be eligible for a refund for your ticket via the airlines. Many airlines have made extreme allowances for those who have purchased tickets recently or are allowing customers to move your ticket to another time. Please check with your individual airline’s website; phone lines are largely unavailable at the moment.
3. What if I need a course during Maymester or Summer to graduate?
If you need a course during your Global Classroom time, please consult with your academic advisor. There are courses available at UofSC over several summer terms, and many faculty have identified that higher-level course options are special topics or direct reading courses in your department.
4. What if my program starts at the end of June and runs into July?
SITOC will be reviewing Global Classrooms due to commence on June 20th and onward
at the scheduled mid-April meeting. Communication and decisions made during the meeting
will be disseminated soon after the conclusion of the meeting.
This page was last updated at 5:26 PM EST on March 20. It will be updated as we receive new information.