Skip to Content

International Student and Scholar Support

Interested in Gaining Off-Campus Work Experience in the U.S.?

Spring 2016 Work Authorization Workshops

If you are an F-1 visa holder, you need work authorization to work an off-campus job, internship, unpaid internship, practicum, or any other type of off-campus work experience. There are two primary types of off-campus work authorization: Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training.

Lauren Smith, Assistant Director for Immigration & Advising Services, is hosting six Optional Practical Training (OPT) Workshops and two Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Workshops throughout the Spring 2016 Semester. If you want to know how to pursue employment after graduation, the OPT Workshop is for you. If your academic program requires work experience to graduate, or if you want to pursue an internship or work experience for an academic purpose while in school, the CPT Workshop is for you.

These workshops are held in Close-Hipp 650A, and no prior registration is required. You are welcome to attend, whether you have a specific employment opportunity already OR you just want to know how to get authorization in the future. If you have questions about these employment workshops, contact Lauren Smith.

The schedule is as follows:

  • Optional Practical Training Workshops
    • Friday, January 29th from 2 to 3 p.m.
    • Monday February 8th from 3 to 4 p.m.
    • Friday, February 26th from 2 to 3 p.m.
    • Monday, March 14th from 3 to 4 p.m.
    • Friday, March 25th from 2 to 3 p.m.
    • Monday, April 18th from 3 to 4 p.m.
  • Curricular Practical Training Workshops
    • Monday, January 25th from 2 to 3 p.m.
    • Monday, April 18th from 2 to 3 p.m.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.