Student Organization Renewal
To start the Renewal process you'll visit Garnet Gate and sign in on your personal account. You'll then navigate to the grid in the upper right corner, click the Manage tab and select the organization you would like to renew. On the next page you should see a blue box below your organization's name.
It is likely because you are not listed as an organization leadership team member or that your organization doesn’t renew until next semester, Email Jamie Ayres for more assistance.
NO, you will need to fill out the name change request form after renewal is completed.
Registered Student Organizations ONLY need to complete the Garnet Gate form initiated following the above instructions.
Associated Student Organizations will need to submit the Garnet Gate form. When this form is submitted your listed Advisor will be contacted to fill out a confirmation form.
If your application is “denied,” log back into Garnet Gate and make the requested edits in order to resubmit. Please note this denial doesn’t mean your organization’s renewal is permanently denied, it just means it’s denied until you make the required edits. If you do not make the edits by the requested deadline, your organization will then become inactive.
Unless you utilize the student organization email provided by the University, leave this section blank.
Helpful Links and Information
- Share a campus-wide announcement.
- Advertise in student media.
- Participate in the Student Org Fair held at the start of each semester.
- Social Media Resources:
- University Policy on Posting Promotional Material, Including Banners: STAF 3.11
- Request Printed Materials
- Annual Planning Calendar [pdf]
- Conflict Resolution
- Election Guide for Student Organizations
- Transitions and Onboarding One-Pager
- Visit the university's Policies & Procedures Manual for the following policies:
- Meeting Agenda Template
Student Org FAQs
Here are some commonly asked questions from student organizations:
No, student organizations are not considered nonprofits nor allowed to be nonprofits. You can be affiliated with a nonprofit, but you are not a nonprofit yourselves.
Per university policy, student organizations are not considered entities of the university
and cannot claim tax exempt status or information from the university at any time.
Please also note that the University of South Carolina is not tax exempt from sales
or use tax except as allowed in SECTION 12‑36‑2120 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
If a student organization is interested in obtaining information for tax-related questions, the student organization can go online or directly contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Columbia Department.
As per university policy, Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) are not allowed
to have "University of South Carolina", "USC", or "UofSC" in their name. This is because RSOs are not entities of the university, but affiliations.
However, you can have "South Carolina", "Carolina", "Columbia", "Gamecock", or "Cocky" in your name.
Registering/re-activating means that the organization doesn’t exist or has been dormant.
This means that you are starting from scratch versus a group that is renewing has existed on campus and has not lapsed in their responsibilities of maintain their records and compliance with the university.
No, chalking is not allowed on campus as per policy UNIV 6.00.
Student organizations can request an email for their organization. Students will still use their student email when accessing the 25Live website to request space on campus. Accounts will start with “so” for ‘student organization’ and then with an abbreviation of your organization’s name.
If you need access to your organization email or password, or if you would like to set one up, please complete this form.
- Log in to 25 Live with your USC user name and password (same as Outlook and Wifi).
- Look for the ‘Create an Event’ button in the middle of the screen. Fill out the web form completely and click 'save'. If you do not see the ‘Create an Event’ button, please contact the Leadership and Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any other accessibility issues with 25Live or questions about event space or planning, please reach out to email@example.com.
Organization categories are identified when an organization registers with our office. If you do not believe that your category is correct or fits your organization, email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can review it.
- Your organization could be listed an inactive. To find out, check if your organization is in Garnet Gate. If it is not, this probably means your organization has been listed as inactive and needs to reactivate. Visit our website to fill out an Intent form to begin the process to reactivate your organization.
- You are not listed as an officer for the organization. Any current officer listed in Garnet Gate can add you by following our tutorials found Documents section of our Garnet Gate page.
- Check your spam folder. It happens.
- You are listed as an officer but disabled notifications in Garnet Gate. Please correct this. To do that, visit your account in Garnet Gate (https://garnetgate.sa.sc.edu/account) and click on “Notifications.” Under “Send me informational emails from” you should have “Campus and Organizations” enabled. This must be enabled or you will miss important emails from our office regarding your organization.
If none of these help, email the Leadership and Service Center at email@example.com.