The 8th annual International Perspectives on Higher Education (IPHE) professional development program will take place in Sweden and travel to Stockholm, Gothenberg, and Jönköping during Spring Break 2020. The program will be led by the Director of Study Abroad, Dr. Magdalena Grudzinski-Hall, and past IPHE participant and co-leader, Dr. Jerry Mitchell. Past programs visited are Colombia (2019), Vietnam (2018), South Africa (2017), Costa Rica (2016), Ireland (2015), Italy (2014), and Spain/France (2013). The IPHE program provides participants with the ability (where available) to observe typical study abroad sites, integrated internships, leadership development, and service learning opportunities for UofSC students.
Participants have the opportunity to experience student study abroad encounters, while participating in a faculty-led study abroad program and gaining exposure to local culture. The IPHE group develops a theoretical understanding of the differences between the higher education systems of the United States and the host country via a comparative, reflective approach. Participants also gain insight into how a faculty-led program operates on the ground.
The dates for this year's program are March 7 - 14, 2020. The cost of the program is $2,225, which includes international roundtrip airfaire, accommodations, most meals, cultural excursions, and university exchange partner visits and lectures. The program is limited to 12 participants.
UofSC faculty and staff stand in front of a mural in Colombia on the 7th annual IPHE program from 2019.
All UofSC faculty and staff who have received their supervisor's support are eligible to participate. The following individuals are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Staff and faculty who have never been outside of the U.S., or have very limited experience out of the country.
- Faculty who may be interested in developing a Global Classroom program.
- Staff from student affairs or academic units whose work directly supports Focus Carolina/USC Connect.
- Faculty from academic departments that are underrepresented in education abroad at UofSC.
All applicants must hold a current passport to travel.
A complete application will include the following items to be submitted to the Study Abroad Office by Friday, November 22nd:
- Online application
- Statement of interest with confirmation of departmental support (e.g. signature of supervisor/dean/department chair)
- Color copy of passport photo page
- Non-refundable deposit. Or, if being funded by his/her department, an intrainstitutional transfer memo may be submitted. Contact the Study Abroad Office for more details.
Upon returning, all IPHE participants are responsible for completing a follow-on project to implement and share the knowledge gained during the program. Examples could include developing a short-term study abroad course, engaging in departmental curriculum integration, conducting a presentation on the IPHE outcomes for campus colleagues, or writing a campus news article about IPHE.