The College of Arts and Sciences is pleased to present a panel discussion on this exciting and important new project in Columbia.
An initiative of Historic Columbia and the Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network (WREN), Columbia City of Women was the brainchild of former First Lady Rachel Hodges, who was inspired by a New York subway map created by author Rebecca Solnit. Our goal is to honor the legacy of strong women in Columbia – past and present – and to make them known in our city. The panel discussion will announce this project to students and to encourage their involvement in this initiative.
From the Columbia City of Women website (not yet public): “We’re using the places we know and love in our city as our backdrop to tell the stories of great Columbia women.” The panel will include several of the Columbia City of Women Organizing Committee alongside other accomplished women, including:
- Rachel Hodges, former First Lady
- Tameika Isaac Devine, Columbia City Councilwoman
- Robin Waites, Executive Director of Historic Columbia
- Laura Winburn, WREN Development Director
- Sally McKay (Moderator), UofSC College of Arts & Sciences
Russell House Theater
Tuesday, January 29