|Department of Women’s and Gender Studies|
Rebecca Weissman has taught Women’s and Gender Studies and Educational Studies courses at numerous universities including The University of South Carolina and Washington and Lee University. Her research areas include intersectionality, critical literacy, multicultural education, and the history of white supremacy in education in the south.
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Curriculum and Instruction, University of South Carolina
- M.Ed. in Creative Arts in Learning, Lesley University
- B.A. in Sociology, New Mexico State University
- EDEC 347: Communities and Classroom Management in Early Childhood Education Settings
- EDEC 342: The Young Child: Development, Care and Education, 3-8 Years
- EDEC 250: Play and Early Learning
- EDTE 201: Issues and Trends in Teaching and Learning
- EDEC 201 & 201- H10: Inquiry into Early Childhood Education
- WGST 112: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
- Weissman, R. (2019) The Role of White Supremacy Amongst Opponents and Proponents of Mass Schooling in the South During the Common School Era. Paedagogica Historica: International Journal of the History of Education, 55 (5).
- Liu, J., Fan, A.,& Weissman, R. (2018) Alternatives in Assessing Mental Health Care Disparities Using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Health Equity, 2 (1).
- Liu, J; Guo, S.; Weissman, R; Ni, S. (2020) Investigating Factors Associated with Bullying Utilizing Latent Class Analysis among Adolescents." School Psychology International, 42 (1).
Conferences and invited presentations
- Weissman, R. (March 2020) Invited Speaker and Panelist, Securing the vote: employing intersectionality to examine the Abolitionist & Suffragist efforts of Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Faculty Panel, Washington and Lee University.
- Weissman, R. (2019) Critical Literacy in the Early Childhood Classroom, Alternative Pathways For Educator Certification Professional Development Day, Columbia, SC.
- Weissman, R. (2018) The Role of White Supremacy Amongst Opponents and Proponents of Mass Schooling in the South During the Common School Era, The American Educational Studies Association, Greenville, S.C.
- Weissman, R (2018) Feminist and Critical Pedagogy: A Unified Teaching for Social Justice Framework, The Southeastern Women’s Studies Association (SEWSA), Clemson, SC.
- Weissman, R. (2018). Drama and Critical Literacy implications in the K-12 Classroom, Conference on Critical Pedagogy and Paulo Freire, Columbia, SC.
- Weissman, R (2018) Free Play and Critical Literacy in the Preschool Classroom, Constructivist Teaching Conference, Columbia, SC.
- Weissman, R. (2017) Teaching Against Humanity: Technology in the PreK-12 Classroom. Carolina Conference for Romance Studies, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Weissman, R. (2017) The Intersections of Intersectionality, The National Association for Multicultural Education, Salt Lake City, UT
- Weissman, R. (2017) South Carolina Preschool Teachers’ Perceptions and Experiences Implementing Critical Literacy in the Preschool Classroom, The American Educational Studies Association, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Weissman, R. (2017) Invited Speaker, Women and Gender Studies Reception for graduatingcertificate students, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.
Grants and awards
- Design, Develop and Deliver an Online Course, Grant, The University of South Carolina, Summer 2019
- The University of South Carolina, Harriott Hampton Faucette research recipient, Liberatory Arts Based Lifelong Learning Courses for Individuals with Dementia, Spring 2017
- The Southeastern Women’s Studies Association Travel Grant recipient, Spring 2018
- USC, Graduate School Travel Grant recipient, Fall 2017
- USC, Bryant A. and Jacqueline F. Meeks Scholarship recipient, Fall 2015-Spring 2016
- USC, Terry and Scott Peterson Fellowship recipient, Fall 2015-Spring 2016