Deepen Your Cultural Agility
Through a mix of introspective courses and experiences, you will reflect upon your own self in relation to others in order to build your capacity to shift perspective and behavior around relevant cultural differences.
You must take one course related to Diversity and Inclusion. Examples of appropriate courses can include:
- Any introspective Diversity and Inclusion offering that helps students increase cultural self- and other-understanding, building their adaptability around relevant cultural differences
- Intercultural Communication
- Multicultural Counseling
- Anything from the list of courses to fulfill the diversity part of the Leadership Studies minor
- Or any of the courses listed under the approved “Diversity and Social Advocacy” course list
You must take two elective courses similar to, or identical to, the ones below:
- ANTH 102 – Understanding Other Cultures
- ANTH 208 – Anthropology of Globalization and Development
- ANTH 210 – The Human Life Cycle in Different Cultures
- ANTH 211 – Learning Across Cultures
- GEOG 121 - Globalization and World Regions
- GEOG 210 - Peoples, Places, and Environments
- POLI 101 - Introduction to Global Politics
- POLI 380 - Comparative Politics of Developing Countries
- RELG 101 - Exploring Religions
- SOCY 315 - Global Population Issues
- SOCY 101- Introduction to Sociology
You can substitute two of the elective courses above for two of the courses or experiences from the list below:
- Study/internship/service learning/experience abroad program approved by the Center for International Studies, Career Center, Education Abroad Office, USC Connect, and/or the Leadership and Service Center. This program should have a specific purpose or academic content and should be supported with relevant coursework.
- Any academic catalog course with “international” or “global” in the title.
- 50 hours of relevant volunteer work with new immigrants to the US, international students during their first semester on campus, and/or in a Title I (K-12) setting where you work with ethnically diverse groups.