Since Greek Village was first developed, there has been rapid growth in the University of South Carolina’s Greek community. As a result, parking issues near Greek Village have arisen during mandatory meal periods required by the organizations. To address these concerns, the university’s Board of Trustees Building and Grounds Committee considered a plan which was proposed in September 2019 to make additional parking spaces available by utilizing a number of surface parking options located immediately adjacent to Greek Village. These spaces would be for the use of fraternity and sorority members.
This solution would cost significantly less than an older proposal to construct a multi-level parking deck and delivers convenient parking options that more quickly meet the needs of the Greek community.
Note: The project received phase one approval from the Building and Grounds Committee and full Board of Trustees on Oct. 11, 2019.
Parking Lot Access
The Gadsden Devine parking lot is located directly across from Greek Village on the corner of Gadsden and Devine Streets.
Credentialed students will be able to enter by using their Carolina Card at the gates.
All Active Greek students, who are associated with a Greek Village facility, are credentialed to enter and exit the lot by using their Carolina Card at the gates on both Gadsden and Devine Streets. An individual must be listed as Active on the chapter's roster with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
The project to make additional spaces available during lunch and dinner services would take place in two stages. The first stage of the project made spaces available in August 2020. Additional spaces could be available as early as March 2022. The total project is estimated to cost approximately $7.5 million and can be paid in full using previously collected fees. The plan eliminated the Greek Village parking fee effective Fall 2019.
- Utilize the existing paved “AD3” lot (renamed to Gadsden Devine) directly across from the Greek Village at Gadsden and Devine Streets for the use of fraternity and sorority members with chapter houses in Greek Village.
- The intramural field at Gadsden and Devine Streets were repurposed for commuters currently utilizing the lot. The parking lot will initially be gravel and subject to future improvements after 2020 as part of a state approved project.
- Create a paved lot on land along Devine Street between Thirsty Fellow and the railroad tracks. Currently, the land is the site of two university buildings used for multiple academic programs.
- The project involves demolition of the buildings and relocation of academic activities currently taking place at the site.
- Grading of the site, storm water drainage, paving and landscaping is included in the project cost. Safety features like cameras, lighting and call boxes are also included.