Many NPHC and MGC organizations at UofSC do not allow undergraduates to join until
they have completed at least one semester of school and have proven themselves academically.
Some organizations may require students to complete more than one semester. The organizations
determine which semester intake will occur, but most organizations will not complete
an intake process for both fall and spring semesters of the same academic year.
Intake Orientation Registration and Information
Fall 2020 dates will be announced soon!
- Have completed at least one semester of school (some organizations may require more than one completed semester)
- Be in good academic standing
- Meet individual organization GPA and other requirements
- Have attended an Intake Orientation session within the last academic year in which membership is pursued.
Intake can either occur in the fall or the spring, depending on the organization.
Membership Intake Process
- Attend at least one Intake Orientation per academic year.
- Attend the organization's informational or interest meeting.
- Apply to the organization.
- Meet organization requirements and receive an acceptance letter.
Complete educational and initiation rituals.
Each organization has different guidelines and details for intake. The amount of time the process takes will vary.
Intake Process Requirements
- Each chapter must file a list of intended candidates with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life immediately following any informational meetings.
- No chapter shall intake members prior to meeting the requirements of the college/university and its national organization.
- No intake shall be held without the presence of at least one graduate chapter and/or advisor.
- HAZING in any form, including physical and mental abuse, is prohibited and will not be tolerated.
- No person who has resigned from one sorority or fraternity may hold membership in any other organization.
- Each organization has a grade point average and credits earned requirement.
Adapted from the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. National Handbook.
Ask the right questions.
- What is the organization's GPA requirement?
- What community service does your organization do?
- What other organizations are your members involved in?
- How much time will I need to commit to membership intake?
- What kind of time commitment is involved as a member?
Do your research.
- Look at the National and chapter websites to learn about the organizations.
- Be open minded–organizations vary from campus to campus.
Attend and participate in Greek events.
- This includes themed weeks, chapter programming and community service projects.
Get involved on campus.
- Aspiring members are more attractive to Greek organizations when they are actively involved and engaged with the UofSC Community.
National Pan-Hellenic Council
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
Multicultural Greek Organizations
- Alpha Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc.
- Delta Phi Omega Sorority, Inc.
- Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc.
- Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc.