Apply for Financial Aid
Create your unique Federal Student Aid ID, and complete your online FAFSA application using MTC's Code 003993 (UofSC code not needed).
Financial Aid Steps
1. Submit your FAFSA
Complete your online FAFSA application using MTC's college code 003993. You will not
need USC's code because your bill is issued by MTC.
Complete your FAFSA application »
2. Look for a letter from Student Financial Services
Once Midlands Technical College receives your FAFSA, Student Financial Services will mail a letter to you stating your FAFSA is on file and directing you to check your MyMTC email account. All future communications will then be sent to your MTC student email.
3. Look for an award email at your MTC email address
If you are eligible for financial aid, you will get an award letter at your MTC email address.
Please read this entire letter. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions and follow the instructions to apply the aid to your account.
All future communications or revisions will be sent to your MTC email address.
4. Complete any additional requirements for your award
Some awards require additional steps before they are approved and applied to your account. Check your MyFinancialAid page through your MyMTC account for additional information on your award and documents requested.
For example, students awarded a LIFE Scholarship must complete a LIFE Scholarship Affidavit before the scholarship can be applied. Additionally, before any student loan can be applied to a student’s account, he or she must complete loan entrance counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note.
Types of Financial Aid Offered
Looking for more information? Midlands Technical College's Student Financial Services offers an overview of all aid types potentially available to students.
- Loans: subsidized, unsubsidized, and PLUS loans are all offered through the Federal Student Aid program operated by the U.S. Department of Education
- Pell Grant: awarded based on expected family contribution, cost of attendance, and enrollment status
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant: awarded to the students with the most financial need depending on availability of funds at the students college/university
- LIFE Scholarship: available to South Carolina students meeting certain criteria set for their institution type. Note: Two-year college's require a 3.0 out of 4.0 weighted high school GPA, but do not require specific standardized test scores or specific class rank to qualify for LIFE Scholarship.
- Lottery Tuition Assistance: available for South Carolina students who do not meet criteria for LIFE Scholarship.
- South Carolina Need Based Grants: provides additional financial aid to SC residents with demonstrated need.
- Midlands Technical College Foundation Scholarships: applications for new and continuing students open each fall and spring for the succeeding semester
Common Financial Aid Questions
If you have a remaining balance after financial aid has been applied, you'll need to pay it before the fee payment deadline. Nonpayment may result in being dropped from your classes. Students enrolled in the MTC payment plan, NELNET, will not be dropped from their courses so long as they are up to date on the monthly payment.
Yes, but only once after you've received credit for the course the first time.
MTC will calculate how much money a student will need for books using a list of required texts for the student's registered courses. The bookstore allowance can allocate enough financial aid to cover the cost of new, required texts with a small, additional amount for supplies assuming your financial aid award is enough to cover tuition, fees and books.