Skip to Content

Student Affairs and Academic Support

Leaving USC

Review the information below if you are considering transferring from or leaving USC or if you are considering dropping all of your courses. 

Withdrawal Periods

Withdrawals are defined by the time in the semester you wish to withdraw. There are both academic and financial implications associated with the date you drop your course(s). Hardship Withdrawals (defined as medical, mental health, or special circumstance) are only considered for past semesters or the current semester’s Withdrawal/Fail (WF) period. 

Dropping All Courses

If you are dropping all of your courses during the current semester:

  1. Complete the withdrawal inquiry form. Please note that the form is not needed to withdraw and is only used if you would like to discuss your options with one of our staff members. 
  2. Visit the Registrar’s calendar to know the withdrawal period in the semester for which you are dropping your courses. Then, visit the University's academic bulletin and review the section called Dropping Courses and Withdrawal, which will explain academic transcript concerns.
  3. Speak with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships about withdrawal implications. Consider discussing:
    how dropping courses can affect your federal or private loans, your scholarships, and other aid for the current and future semester(s). In some cases, repayment may be required. 
  4. Speak with the University Bursar to discuss payments (if on a payment plan) and refunds (if eligible). 
  5. Other financial considerations that may apply include contacting campus partners to cancel your on-campus housing contract, cancel your meal plan, cancel your student health insurance, turn in parking decal to request a refund, and visiting the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life if you are a member of Greek Life to cancel meal plans or request changes to your account. 

How to Drop Courses in Self-Service Carolina:

  1. Log in to your Self-Service Carolina account. 
  2. Click on the Student tab then the Registration tile. 
  3. Click Register for Classes and choose the term from which you want to withdraw. 
  4. Registered classes are listed in the summary window in the lower right corner. Each should have an action drop down list. When the drop down is clicked, a student can select the 'Drop/Withdrawal Course/W' option. Please note: if the WF period has begun, the option would read 'Drop/Withdrawal Course/WF'. 
  5. Click submit to complete the action. 
  6. If you are not able to withdraw, it is possible that there is a hold on your account. Go back to the home screen, and click the 'Registration Notices and Holds' option to view holds or notices on your account. Contact the department(s) listed to have the hold removed. 
  7. Once you are no longer enrolled in courses and all financial ties to the institution are taken care of, you are considered withdrawn. Please note that students typically do not become inactive until they miss a major semester (fall/spring) without a record of enrollment. If you are still receiving communication, please contact the department listed on the communication or unsubscribe from the listserv if given the option. 

Leaving or Transferring from USC

If you are leaving USC after a full semester, follow the steps below:

  1. Don’t register for courses for the next semester.
  2. Speak with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if you receive scholarships, loans, or grants and you plan to attend USC in the near future.
  3. Resolve any financial debt or other obligations with campus departments (Housing, etc).
  4. If you are an international student, please contact International Student Services at 803-777-7461.

Many transfer questions can be answered by the admissions office at your new school for transfer guidelines (including financial aid). You can obtain a copy of your USC transcript via Self-Service Carolina. If you are leaving during a semester, please refer to the information above. If you are leaving USC but not transferring, the information above still applies. However, if you have additional questions, contact us at

Please note: If you miss an entire semester, and wish to return, you will have to reapply to USC. 

Returning from Withdrawal

If you miss a full semester (fall or spring) of enrollment at USC, to attend courses again, you must reapply to South Carolina by submitting an application for readmission.  

If you have a course grade or a “W” on your transcript for a previous semester (fall or spring), please contact your assigned academic advisor about registering for next semester courses.

Hardship Withdrawal

If you are withdrawing from the current semester during the withdraw fail period due to a hardship (defined as a serious mental health, medical, or significant personal emergency which prevented you from successfully completing the semester),  you may consider submitting a Hardship Withdrawal petition. Read more about hardship withdrawals, the petition process and other items to consider before withdrawing. 

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.