The University of South Carolina College of Nursing offers graduate programs in the following advance practice nursing and leadership specialties:
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
- Nursing Administration (NA)
Master's programs are offered online, however students in advance practice program specialties may be required to come to campus a minimum of twice a semester during their clinical rotations.
The master's degree in nursing at The University of South Carolina is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).
All MSN programs provide eligibility to apply for national certification examinations such as AGACNP, FNP, PMHNP or Nursing Administration. Specialty Certification is not automatic and in some cases must be combined with relative work experience.
Plans of Study
The Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program prepares the nurse to provide health care services to acutely ill adults and gerontology patients with complex health problems.
The Family Nurse Practitioner program prepares the nurse to provide primary health care across the lifespan.
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program prepares the nurse to provide psychiatric mental health services to clients/patients across the lifespan in various settings.
The Nursing Administration program prepares nurses to be key leaders in health organizations.
Degree Requirements (upon completion of program)
- Complete the approved program of study
- Complete a three-hour applied research course (NURS 791) or a six-hour thesis course (NURS 799)
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, with grades of at least 3.0 in all program of study courses and all 700-level courses
- Complete the program within fourteen semesters (~4.5 years)
- Pass the MSN Comprehensive Assessment
- Complete clinical hours
Contact the Nursing Graduate Studies Office
Have additional questions about Master's programs?
Call us at 803-777-7412, email or stop by our office:
Williams-Brice Building, Room 208
1601 Greene Street
Columbia, SC 29208