The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) program is designed to prepare graduates to provide holistic, mental health care integrating neuroscientific principles of behavior, experience and psychopharmacology with psychotherapy, consultation and trauma-related care across the lifespan. The PMHNP will be prepared to practice in diverse settings including nurse-managed clinics, inpatient psychiatric facilities, home health, private psychiatric practices, addiction centers, general ambulatory clinics and schools. Graduates are eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s PMHNP exam.
The MSN PMHNP program is a total of 47 credits and takes 8 semesters to complete and all didactic coursework is online, distance format.
- NURS 700 - Theoretical and Conceptual Foundation for Nursing
- NURS 717 - Application of Basic Statistics for Nursing Practice and Service Management
- NURS 707 - Advanced Pathophysiology for Nurses
- NURS 720 - Clinical Application of Population Analysis
- NURS 702 - Pharmacological Management of Pediatric, Adult and Gerontological Patients Across the Lifespan
- NURS 790 - Research Methods for Nursing
- NURS 704 - Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning+
- NURS 791 - Seminar in Clinical Nursing Research
- NURS 718 - Diagnostic Interpretation and Therapeutic Modalities
- NURS 761 - Neuroscientific Basis of Behavior and Psychopharmacological Treatment
- NURS 763 - Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum I: Management of Psychiatric/Mental Health Conditions*
- NURS 764 - Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum II: Management of Complex Psychiatric/Mental Health Conditions*
- NURS 768 - Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner: Legal, Ethical and Role Transition
- NURS 768A - Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum III: Role Development*
+ On campus immersion,
*Course requires clinical hours (672 total clinical hours required)
• Bachelors of Science in Nursing from a nationally accredited program
• Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
• Science grades will be strongly considered
• Minimum of 1-year full time equivalent nursing experience (1800 hours) within the past 24 months. Preferred clinical experience includes psych or related fields.
• Submit a personal statement
• Current CV or Resume
• Three (3) letters of recommendation
• Copy of unencumbered RN license
• Current BLS certification
• GRE not required
The MSN PMHNP program only accepts students for Summer entry. Applications are accepted
August 1 – November 1 Our online application
is available at www.sc.edu/gradschool.
Contact the Nursing Graduate Studies Office
Have additional questions the MSN PMHNP program?
Call us at 803-777-7412, email or stop by our office:
Williams-Brice Building, Room 208
1601 Greene Street
Columbia, SC 29208