We’re counting down the minutes until the big game when the San Francisco 49ers face the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas on Feb. 11. Football fan or not, here’s everything you need to know.
Where to watch
The Super Bowl will be broadcast at 6:30 p.m. EST on CBS, Paramount+ and the NFL Network app and website. Nickelodeon will stream a child-friendly version of the game with Dora the Explorer and Spongebob Square Pants announcing.
Facts and stats
- Keep an eye out for two former Gamecock football players, wide receiver Deebo Samuel
and defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw, who both play for the 49ers. During their time
at USC, they were both standouts for Gamecock football.
- Deebo Samuel played 2014-18 and was the 36th pick in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft.
- Javon Kinlaw played at Jones County Junior College before transferring to USC. He played for the Gamecocks 2017-19 and was picked 14th overall in the 2020 draft.
- This will be Las Vegas’ first time hosting the Super Bowl and the first time the game will be at Allegiant Stadium, home of the Las Vegas Raiders.
- This will be the first time in NFL history that the Super Bowl will be broadcast on two formats (CBS and its streaming service Paramount+).
- Usher will headline the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show. The eight-time Grammy Award winner will be releasing a new album the Friday before the big game, so be on the lookout for some new tracks.
- Having deja vu? The 49ers and the Chiefs faced off four years ago in Super Bowl LIV, when the Chiefs won 31-20. The teams did not play during the regular season this year.
Where to watch in Columbia
Several locations will be showing the game and hoping you’ll order some food and beverages while you watch.
- Market on Main offers amazing views on their jumbotron and has outdoor seating.
- Home Team BBQ is the perfect location for barbeque and sports fans alike. With TVs around the entire restaurant, this place will have a great energy for groups.
- Grab a slice of pizza while you watch at Thirsty Fellow. With TVs all around the restaurant, there won’t be any bad seats.
- Salty Nut offers a laid-back atmosphere and great options for the Super Bowl viewing.
Other things to do
- Other than the game itself, the Super Bowl is well known for the advertisements that run throughout the broadcast. The School of Journalism and Mass Communications runs a Super Ad Poll where alumni and friends can vote on their favorite advertisements.
- Calling all Swifties! It is assumed that Taylor Swift will be in attendance to support boyfriend, Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce.
- If you’re only interested in the Usher concert, tune in around 8 p.m.
- For the animal lovers, the annual Puppy Bowl will air on Animal Planet, Discovery, TBS and TruTV at 2 p.m. EST. It will also stream on Max, Hulu, DirecTV Stream and Discovery+.