Permit Guidelines and Requirements
- Requests for a hot work permit must be received by the USC Fire Safety Office at least 24 hours prior to the start of hot work. Work cannot begin without an approved permit.
- All equipment being used for hot work shall be in good working order and in proper repair.
- A minimum of one five-pound ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher that has a current annual inspection shall be provided on site by the entity doing the hot work.
- Under the guidance of USC Fire Safety, precautions must be made to avoid inadvertent fire alarm or sprinkler activations.
- A fire watch shall be in place for the duration of hot work and for 30 minutes after the any hot work is completed.
- USC Fire Safety shall be notified when the work has been completed or in the event
that hot work will not be completed by the time specified on the permit.
To request a Hot Work permit
To see all of the permit requirements or to download a printable copy click Hot Work Permit