The Out-to-Lunch Program is designed to remove barriers between university faculty and undergraduate students by providing an opportunity for them to interact in a less formal environment, outside of the classroom.
We believe in the value of this experience enough that we will even cover the cost of the faculty member's meal.
Set up Your Lunch
- Pick up a dining card. Come by the Student Success Center to get the dining card to pay for the faculty member's meal. We will need about 15 minutes to help you prepare to contact your professor. If you've already completed the planning worksheet in class, bring it with you.
- Invite your professor. Ask in-person, call their office or email them.
- Choose a place to eat. Dining cards are good anywhere on campus except for Top of Carolina, the Dodie and the Russell House Bookstore cafe.
What to Talk About at Lunch?
Ask your instructor about:
- Class material
- Their academic career
- Why they came to UofSC
- What they enjoy about teaching
- Research they're doing
- Advice for your career goals and plans after graduation
- Hobbies, sports or other interests
Out-to-Lunch is a great activity to incorporate into your University 101 class. Most students find the experience extremely rewarding. Contact the Student Success Center to discuss options for connecting your students with Out-to-Lunch.