Topics to be covered include the following:
- Basics of capital planning and budgeting: terminology, scope, and rationale for process
- Process for developing a capital improvement plan and for establishing priorities for projects
- Capital financing options and strategies
- State and local government capital planning and financing requirements in South Carolina
- Tax exempt borrowing: options for structuring debt and process leading to sale of debt instruments
- Long-range financial forecasting: determination of how much debt a jurisdiction can afford
- Creative financing options
Required Course Materials
It is your responsibility to supply the following materials for the course:
- Tax-Exempt Financing: A Primer - will be furnished the first day of class
- Benchmarking and Measuring Debt Capacity - will be furnished the first day of class
- “GFOA Best Practices” in Capital Planning and Debt Management – to be furnished for download on first day of class
Exam II - Capital Planning and Forecasting
November 18, 2019 or April 20, 2020
12:45 pm – 2:45 pm
Check in at 12:30 pm
Meet Your Instructor
James E. Kirk
Budget Director at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia, and former Budget Director, Business and Finance Division, University of South Carolina
Jim earned the Bachelor in Arts in Economics from Vanderbilt University and the Master of Public Administration from George Washington University. Jim was the Deputy State Director for Fiscal Management at the South Carolina Department of Social Services and also served as the Deputy Commissioner for Fiscal Affairs at the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs. His other government experience includes working as a Budget Analyst for the Governor's Office, the State Auditor's Office, and Arlington County, Virginia. Jim was a Research Associate with the University of South Carolina Bureau of Governmental Research and Service (now the Institute for Public Service and Policy Research) from 1977-1980 and is the author of several publications on financial management and administration.
Registration and Fees
|Dates / Sessions||Times||Fees|
|GFOA Exam II - Capital Planning and Forecasting|
04/20/2020 – 04/20/2020
Notes: The exam location and directions will be emailed approximately one week before the exam date.
|12:45 PM – 2:45 PM||$50|
Registration and Payment Notes
If you plan to pay by check or purchase order, select "register by mail." Complete the form and return a printout with payment to: USC Continuing Education
and Conferences, Close/Hipp Building at 1705 College Street, Suite 591, Columbia,
SC 29208. Your seat is not guaranteed until payment is received.
We accept online payment via electronic check, VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express through MarketPlace, a secure electronic environment that simplifies business transactions with the university. Follow the MarketPlace prompts to complete payment. Your transaction is only complete when you receive an order number, which is your receipt of payment. Your seat is not guaranteed until payment is received and you receive an order number.
Once you have paid and are enrolled, you'll be emailed location and parking information for face-to-face programs or online instructions about one week before the program begins.