Skip to Content


Advising and Registration

This page is intended to help current students prepare for advisement and course registration. All undergraduate students must be advised before they can register for classes.

Advising Information

In the College of Engineering and Computing, students are advised by either student services advisors or faculty advisors. Initially, all CEC students have professional staff Academic Advisors. 

Who is my advisor?

To find out who your advisor is, log in to Self Service Carolina then click “Student Information.” Your advisor’s name is listed under “Primary Advisor.” Contact information is the CEC Faculty and Staff Directory.

Initially, all CEC students have professional staff Academic Advisors who schedule appointments through EAB Navigate.  While their advisement process is like that of Faculty Advisors in CEC, it starts earlier. Your Academic Advisor will contact you by email with additional information before the advisement period.

Find all the staff advisors on the Student Services Office page »

CEC students with a faculty advisor are generally advised over a two-week period around midterm.

How to be advised by a Faculty Advisor:

Schedule an advising appointment.

You should receive email notification prior to the advisement period with instructions for how to schedule an appointment.  Many but not all faculty advisors use EAB Navigate to schedule appointments. You can always contact your advisor or your department office for more information.

Prepare for advising.

Your advisor may give you specific instructions on how to prepare for advising.  If you’re not sure how to prepare, we recommend that you:

  • Determine your catalog year and make a copy of your Major Map.
  • Compare your unofficial transcript in Self Service Carolina to your Major Map. Mark the classes on your Major Map that you have completed or will complete this semester.
  • Use the marked Major Map to plan the classes you should take next semester, and to the extent possible, every semester until graduation.
  • Fill out a CEC advisement worksheet, including questions you have for your advisor.
  • Bring these documents with you to your advising appointment. Your advisor may also ask you to send some of these documents in advance.
Be advised.

Be mindful of your Faculty Advisor’s schedule - be prepared, show up on time, and ask questions. Remember, Faculty Advisors don't lift advisement holds. You must submit your approved advisement sheet to your department office for holds to be lifted.

Late advising.

If you miss the faculty advising period, you may not be able to be advised until the very end of the semester, after everyone else has registered for classes. Contact CEC Student Services to determine how your department handles late faculty advisement.

Transient enrollment is when you take classes at another institution after becoming a UofSC Columbia student.

Prior to going transient:

  1. Use the Course Equivalency table to look up the institution you want to attend and the courses there which have transfer equivalencies.
  2. Complete and sign a Special Enrollment Request.
  3. If you have a professional staff Academic Advisor, submit the form to them.
  4. If you have a Faculty Advisor, submit the form to CEC Student Services to obtain the “Advisor” and “Academic Dean” approvals. Faculty Advisors do not approve transient enrollment or sign Special Enrollment Request forms.
  5. Keep a copy of the approved Special Enrollment Request form, as it will help you enroll at the transient institution.

After enrolling transiently, you are responsible for ensuring that your transcript from the other institution is submitted to the UofSC Columbia Registrar in a timely manner.

Study Abroad opportunities are managed by the Education Abroad Office. They will provide you with the necessary forms and guide you through the process of class approvals, which looks like this:

  1. With your academic advisor, determine which classes you would normally be taking in the term you plan to go abroad.
  2. Choose a destination institution based on availability of the classes you need or want.
    • Apply to the Education Abroad Office and discuss destination institutions with a possible major match.
    • Use the Course Equivalency Table to match the classes you need to the classes approved for transfer from the destination institution.
    • Look at the catalogue or website of the destination institution for classes that might count but are not in the transfer table. Contact Assistant Dean Patterson in CEC Student Services for help with equivalencies not in the transfer table. 
  3. Fill out a Study Abroad Approval Form, available from the Study Abroad Office.
  4. Get the form signed in CEC Student Services and turn it in to Study Abroad.

If the Financial Aid Office has contacted you about a timeframe review form, satisfactory academic progress, max timeframe advisement, or some other document of coursework remaining for continued financial aid eligibility, CEC Student Services can help.  Submit the Financial Aid form to CEC Student Services to obtain the "College Official" review and signature.

Additional advising resources, maintained by the University Advising Center, provide information and how-to videos on major change advising, accessing advising tools, using Self Service Carolina to view your transcript or DegreeWorks degree audit, and a whole lot more. 


Registering for Classes

Your registration time ticket indicates the earliest time that you can register for classes for the next semester.  To view a time ticket:

  1. Login to Self Service Carolina at
  2. Navigate to the Student tab.
  3. Click the Student Profile box.
  4. Click “Registration Notices” in the upper right corner of the profile.
  5. View the time ticket time.

Directly register for classes using Self Service Carolina’s registration function, or with the Schedule Planner add-on. Need help? Registration tutorials are available.

Check your account daily leading up to registration to ensure no holds have been placed on your account. Holds are displayed in the upper right corner of your student profile in Self Service Carolina.

If you’re experiencing trouble registering for a specific class, consider these common registration hiccups.

CEC classes have a department designator of AESP, BMEN, CSCE, ECIV, ECHE, ELCT, ITEC, EMCH, or ENCP.

Non-CEC classes have processes and contacts that vary by college.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.