Faculty and Staff
College of Engineering and Computing
300 Main Street
Columbia, SC, 29208
Dr. Wang's research interests include Computational and data-enabled science and engineering (CDS&E) and its applications in multiphysics and multiscale systems engineering, including aerospace, microfluidics/nanofluidics, thermal and energy management, additive manufacturing, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR), among others. The specific focuses are (1) physics-based adaptive modeling, from high-fidelity multiphysics CFD/FEM analysis to reduced order modeling and closed-form modeling for real-time simulation, trade space exploration, and process control; (2) data-driven multi-fidelity surrogate modeling for multidisciplinary analysis and optimization, large-scale system-level simulation, and adaptive model integration; (3) massive and real-time data analytics, discovery, and management, including engineering data mining, parameter estimation, uncertainty quantification, machine learning, and green computing & visualization; and (4) systems engineering of microfluidics/nanofluidics, including model development, system design, control synthesis, hardware development, and experimentation, with the long-term goal towards cyber-physical systems (CPS) and engineering intelligence
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2005
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, 2000
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, 1998
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, 2017-Present
- Director, Biomedical and Energy Technologies, CFD Research Corporation, 2014-2017
- Manager, Biomedical and Energy Technologies, CFD Research Corporation, 2011-2014
- Group Leader, Biomedical and Energy Technologies, CFD Research Corporation, 2009-2011
- Senior Engineer, Biomedical and Energy Technologies, CFD Research Corporation, 2007-2009
- Engineer, Biomedical and Energy Technologies, CFD Research Corporation, 2005-2007
- J. Zhu, Y. Wang, K. Pant, P.M. Suh,Â M.J. Brenner, "Genetic Algorithm-based Model Order Reduction of Aeroservoelastic Systems with Consistent States", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 54, pp. 1443-1453, 2017
- H. Song, J. Rosano, Y. Wang, Â Â C.J. Garson, B. Prabhakarpandian, K. Pant, G.J. Klarmann, A. Perantoni, L.M. Alvarez, and E. Lai, "Identification of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation State Using Dual-micropore Microfluidic Impedance Flow Cytometry", Analytical Methods, Vol. 8, pp. 7437-7444, 2016. (Cover Story)
- J. Qian, Y. Wang, H. Song, K. Pant, H. Peabody, J. Ku, and C.D. Butler, "Projection-Based Reduced Order Modeling for Spacecraft Thermal Analysis", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, pp. 978-989, 2015.
- H. Song, J. Rosano, Yi Wang, et al., â€œContinuous-Flow Sorting of Stem Cells and Differentiation Products based on Dielectrophoresis", Lab on Chip, 15, Vol. 5, pp. 1320-1328, 2015.
- Yi Wang, J. Qian, H. Song, K. Pant, HQ Yang, X. Li, M.J. Grismer, J.A. Camberos, F. Fahroo, "Feature Extraction from Massive, Dynamic Computational Data based on Proper Orthogonal Decomposition and Feature Mining", Journal of Visualization, Vol. 17, pp. 363-372, 2014
- Y. Wang, H. Song, K. Pant, "A reduced-order model for whole-chip thermal analysis of microfluidic lab-on-a-chip systems", Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol. 16, pp. 369-380, 2014.
- H. Song, Y. Wang, J. M. Rosano, B Prabhakarpandian, C. Garson, K. Pant, and E. Lai, "A microfluidic
impedance flow cytometer for identification of differentiation state of stem cells",
Lab on Chip, Vol. 13, pp. 2300-2310, 2013.