Viewing Course Restrictions in Self Service Carolina
- Login to Self Service Carolina.
- Click on the Student Tab, then Registration Tile, and Browse Classes to search for a course.
- Click on the Course Title to bring up a pop-up box with additional course information
- Click on the Restrictions tab to view any course registration restrictions.
Viewing Course Restrictions on classes.sc.edu
- View the 'Identifying Class Registration Restrictions' video or,
- Go to the website classes.sc.edu
- Search for the class you are wanting to take and click on the specific section.
- View any Registration Restrictions and Registration Notes in the class section information.
Common Course Restrictions
- Course Section – Some sections are reserved for majors only; students in Opportunity Scholars or
Honors; or specific classification such as sophomores or above.
- Field of Study – The course may only be open to certain majors, minors, and concentrations.
- Honors Courses or Special Approval Required – The course may only be open to students in the South
Carolina Honors College or may require the student to obtain approval from the department offering
- Course Capacity – The course may be full.
- Pre-Requisites – You may not have the required pre-requisite.
- Co-Requisites – You may not have the correct co-requisite. If a course requires a co-requisite,
CRNs must be entered on the Add Classes Worksheet when the Submit button is pressed.
- Campus – The course may not be offered on your campus.
- Level – The course may be offered at a different level (Graduate, Undergraduate, Law, Medical,
- Alpha character - Course sections beginning with an alpha character are intended for specific student
populations. If you receive a “Student Attribute Restriction” when registering, please check the alpha
character in the 3-digit section number. A list of common course sections with restrictions are included in the table below.
Alpha Character Description Section A## Preston Residential College Students Section C## Capstone Scholar Students Section H## South Carolina Honors College Students Section J## Online sections open to all students; be certain to check which campus the section is designated for and only enroll in Columbia sections. Section M## PMBA Students Section N## Nursing students enrolled in online section Section P## Palmetto College Students Section Q## International Accelerator Program Students Section R## Contract Courses; only open to students affiliated with the course contract Section S## Special populations including Living and Learning Communities Section T## TRiO Students Section Y## Open to all students; sections scheduled by Office of On Your Time Initiatives Section Z## Fort Jackson students
Viewing Registration Holds
To view registration holds, visit: Self Service Carolina > Student >Student Profile (New) > Holds (found in the
top right corner).
Common Registration Holds
|Hold Type||Hold Description||When is the hold typically applied||Hold Lift Instructions||Keywords
This hold requires students meet with their academic advisor before registering for courses each semester.
This hold will prevent you from registering for the upcoming semester but will not prevent you from dropping current classes.
|Added 6-8 weeks before course registration||Schedule an appointment and meet with your academic advisor.||tag 1, tag2|
|Academic Recovery Hold||First-year undergraduate students on academic probation after their first semester must complete anacademic coaching session. Learn more about Academic Standards Policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin.||Added at the beginning of the second semester||Schedule and attend an Academic Coaching session with the Office of Exploratory Advising and Academic Coaching.|
|Bursar Hold (Financial Hold)||
Failure to pay outstanding charges by deadlines (parking, tuition, fees, etc.) will result in a financial hold on the student’s record. A financial hold prohibits students from future registration, receiving transcripts, or receiving a diploma. Note: Once the balance has been paid in full, the hold will be removed.
Examples include: Delinquent Acct-Reg/Transcript, Delinquent Payment Plan, Cash Only, Student Loan Collections, Bursar Returned Ck Record Hold
|Added periodically to accounts with an outstanding balance||Pay balances in full via Self Service Carolina. Contact the Bursar’s Office with questions.|
|Judicial Disciplinary Case Hold||
There are two types of conduct holds:
• Failure to attend a scheduled meeting with conductadministrator/hearing officer
• Failure to complete the sanctions assigned to you
|Added periodically with failure to attend conduct hearings or complete sanctions||Attend conduct meeting and complete sanctions. Contact Student Conduct and Academic Integrity for more information.|
|Transcript Hold||Students who have taken coursework at another institution before beginning or while enrolled at USC must submit an official transcript. If USC does not receive an official transcript, a transcript hold will be placed.||Added after admission to USC||Have your transcripts sent to the University. Use these guidelines for submitting prior coursework based on your current enrollment status. If you are a current freshman, please follow the instructions for an incoming freshman or transfer student.|
|Citizenship Hold||Students must verify U.S. citizenship by completing and submitting the Citizenship Verification Form to the University Registrar’s office.||Added after admission to USC||
Complete the Citizenship Verification form and submit to the University Registrar.
|Immunization Hold||USC follows the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American College Health Association (ACHA) recommendations regarding immunizations for college students. Immunization requirements must be met and the form on file at Student Health Services before a student can register for classes, move into a residence hall, or attend classes.||Added after admission to USC||
Log into MyHealthSpace. On the leftside navigation pane, select "Messages". You likely have multiple messages detailing what you need to do to gain compliance and have your hold removed.
For more information, visit Student Health Services or call the clinic coordinator in the AIT clinic at (803) 777-9511.
|AlcoholEdu and/or Sexual Assault Prevention Hold(s)||Students must complete Part I and Part II of AlcoholEdu and Sexual Assault Prevention by established deadlines.||Added after deadline for Parts I and II of AlcoholEdu and Sexual Assault Prevention||
Complete the AlcoholEdu and/or Sexual Assault Prevention module(s).