Establishing the UAC
The UAC was established in response to a review of advising practices completed by the Advising Coordinating Taskforce at UofSC. The following six recommendations for advising were presented and are outlined in the Re-envisioning Academic Advising at the University of South Carolina report.
- Establish a UofSC Advising Center and First-Year Advisors to facilitate consistent student advising of all undergraduates, with attention to first-year and other students in transition. The UAC strategically allocates undergraduate academic advisors to each academic college/school based on a set of four allocation rules.
- Establish expectations and processes for the advising of freshman, transfer, and continuing students within their respective colleges and schools.
- Provide training and certification programs for First-Year Advisors and others who advise that incorporate UofSC academic requirements and national best practices.
- Provide technology and online resources that enable efficient and effective advising.
- Offer faculty-led student programs to assist first-year and continuing students to explore and connect with their fields of study and career opportunities.
- Develop a culture of student responsibility for academic and career planning.