Skip to Content

Academic Advising

Academic Suspension

Any student who is on probation at the beginning of a fall or spring semester must achieve a certain Total Institutional GPA at the end of that semester in order to avoid suspension. Students unable to meet these standards are suspended from the University of South Carolina for one fall or spring semester and the contiguous summer (approximately eight months).

While on Suspension

Wondering what’s next? See the answers to many FAQs and links to helpful resources and next steps below. You can still be successful at USC—after reapplying to USC after you’ve served your suspension you will work  1 on 1 with an Academic Coach to recommit to your academic success. 

When you find out about your suspension, take some time to reflect on this experience. Ask yourself:

  • What were some obstacles I encountered?
  • Where do I want to go from here?
  • Can I overcome these obstacles in the future if I return to USC?
  • What will I do during my suspension period?

After some reflection, find someone close who can help you process your experience and can support you in making your own important decisions about your future.  Be honest, but realistic about your goals and plans for the future.

Stay engaged! Find a job or some activities within your community that keep you active. Such activities might focus on service, academic, and/or work-related experiences. Think about what career goals you may have for the future and seek out activities that will give you greater insight into your chosen career field. The Career Center may be a helpful resource! Throughout your suspension, reflect on your experiences by asking yourself some of the following questions:

  • Have my engagement opportunities provided me further insight or assurance of my life goals?
  • What qualifications and/or skills will I need to reach my goals?
  • Will I need to return to USC to earn a degree in order to advance towards my life goals?
  • What have I missed about USC? What am I looking forward to enjoying again at USC?

Please make sure you are still periodically checking your USC e-mail account.

If it is your first time being suspended and you are suspended after the spring semester, your suspension period is the following summer and fall semesters. If you are suspended after the fall semester, your suspension period is the following spring and summer semesters.

The duration of a second suspension, or indefinite suspension, is a minimum of two years.

According to the Undergraduate Academic Bulletin, while serving suspension a student may not be admitted to, or continue in, any academic program of the University. Credit earned at any another institution while a student is on suspension from South Carolina may not be applied toward a degree from USC, unless approved by the Standards and Petitions Committee of the college to which the student is readmitted. Prior approvals for transient study will be revoked for suspended students.


Apply for Readmission

After you have served your suspension period, you may choose to reapply for admission at USC. If you have less than a 2.0 GPA, readmission to the program in which you were previously enrolled is not automatic. It is likely that you will need to petition to an academic department for readmission. The admissions office will let you know after reviewing your application and will send you the necessary paperwork.

It is very important that you pay close attention to the due dates for the readmission application. If you are reapplying for admission for the fall semester, your application is due by July 1. If you are reapplying for admission for the spring semester, your application is due by November 1. If you wish to return to USC, you will need to decide which major you intend to pursue upon readmission. You can speak to an admissions counselor to learn more about the academic options available at USC. You may also need to think about reapplying for financial aid.

Learn more about USC’s readmission process from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or call them at 803-777-7700 to speak with an admissions counselor.


#RecommitToYourSuccess: Returning to USC

If you are readmitted to USC you will be part of the #RecommitToYourSuccess initiative, a holistic advising experience with an Academic Coach in the University Advising Center. A part of your #RecommitToYourSuccess journey, Academic Coaching is individually tailored to your needs and is designed to help you get back on track to academic success. Early in your first semester back at USC, you and your Academic Coach will meet and co-create an Academic Plan outlining your strategies for success, goals, and campus resources. Your Coach will also guide you through the terms of your readmittance to USC, which includes being placed on academic probation in your first semester back from suspension. In order to avoid a second suspension, you must achieve a 2.5 GPA each semester until your cumulative USC GPA reaches above the level at which suspension would occur (please refer to the academic standards policies for more information). You and your coach will identify semester GPA goals needed to place you back in good academic standing, avoid probation and suspension, and to make progress towards your graduation goals.   

If readmitted, you will be required to schedule and attend an academic coaching appointment within the first six weeks of the semester. If you do not attend your appointment within the first six weeks of the semester, an Academic Recovery Hold will be placed on your course registration for the following semester, and you will not be able to register for classes. During your appointment, your academic coach will help you create a plan, set goals, and identify resources to help you achieve success inside and outside the classroom. You will receive an email from the University Advising Center after you’ve been readmitted with instructions on how to schedule your required Academic Coaching appointment. Please monitor your USC student email inbox closely after readmittance.

Upon re-enrollment, you will be able to schedule for courses.  At this point, however, it may be difficult to schedule courses, since many you might need to take may already be filled.  At this time you should speak with an academic advisor to make sure that the classes you enroll in will count towards your major and are courses that will best suit you during your first semester back.  Also, if you have been away from USC for longer than eight months, program requirements may have changed. Please refer to the Undergraduate Academic Bulletin for the most up to date requirements.

To apply for federal financial aid at USC, you must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is available each year on October 1; you will use the FAFSA for the fall, spring, and summer semesters of the following academic year. Speak with the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships for more information.

If you will be receiving federal funding and you have over sixty credit hours, you must have a cumulative USC GPA of at least 2.0.  If you do not meet this GPA requirement, you must complete an appeal through the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships in order to receive your financial aid,.

To be eligible to receive any federal and/or state need-based financial aid, undergraduate students must adhere to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarship’s (OSFAS) Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress. This policy also includes Private Education Loans. The intent of this policy is to ensure that undergraduate students who are receiving federal and state financial aid for their education are making measurable progress toward completion of a degree in a reasonable period of time. Undergraduate students, in order to complete an undergraduate degree within the prescribed time allowed, would need to enroll for at least 15 credit hours per semester (fall and spring) not to exceed a total of 180 hours, and successfully earn (pass) 67 percent of all hours attempted. A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative USC GPA is also required.

You can find more information on satisfactory academic progress from the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.  You will also need to have an appointment with an Academic Coach in the University Advising Center as part of your appeal.

Additionally, the Office of the Bursar can address any questions or concerns you have regarding tuition and fees.


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.