Tips for on-campus holiday decoration
Decorate your space for the holiday season safely
By Koby Padgett, firstname.lastname@example.org, 803-576-6701
With the holiday season approaching, university fire marshal Todd Griffin would like to pass along safe decorating tips for the Columbia campus this winter.
- Any decorations must be kept out of doorways and allow free movement of people to and from the building, including in hallways, stairways and lobbies.
- Decorations should not block exit lights, fire extinguishers and fire alarm pull stations.
- Only fire-resistant trees are permitted.
- Inspect all lighting sets for wear and tear before use.
- Use indirect spotlights on metallic trees instead of electric lights strung on a tree.
- Candles are not allowed anywhere on the Columbia campus with the exception of Rutledge Chapel (which requires pre-approval).
The Fire Safety Office can inspect decorations upon request; call 7-5269 for more details.
Help us keep the campus safe for all, and happy holidays!
Share this Story! Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about