January Monthly Tips
By Office of Parent & Family Programs, email@example.com, 800-868-6752
- Cooking classes. If your student is looking to eat healthier in the new year and learn new cooking
techniques, encourage them to take advantage of cooking classes available through Student Health Services. Students can learn about these classes
and sign up to take part through their MyHealthSpace account.
- Drop/Add date. Remind your student that the last day to change/drop a course without a grade of
“W” being recorded for the spring 2020 semester is Tuesday, Jan. 21.
- Getting involved. The Leadership & Service Center will host the spring student organization fair Wednesday, Jan. 22 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Greene Street. Students looking to find
a new club to join can chat with organizations' executive members and learn about
future meeting times and events.
- Holiday closing. There will be no classes Monday, Jan. 20 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Day. University offices will also be closed. Encourage your student to give back to
the community in his honor with the MLK, Jr. Day of Service hosted by the Leadership & Service Center Saturday, Jan. 18.
- May graduation. Is your student planning to graduate in May? Remind them that the last day to apply for spring 2020 graduation is Feb. 17. Students should check with their advisors on the application process.
If you're coming from out of town, be sure to review the ceremony dates and times for your student’s college/school and reserve your accommodations soon.
- Parking permits. If your student didn’t have a car on campus during the fall but will have one for
the spring semester, encourage them to get a parking permit from Vehicle Management and Parking Services before classes begin.
- Residence hall openings. Residence halls open for the spring semester Jan. 8 at 8 a.m. and Greek Village opens
Jan. 12 at noon. Meal plans through Carolina Food Co. will be available for use starting Jan. 8 at dinner.
- Spring recruitment. Students interested in joining a sorority or fraternity this semester are encouraged
to take part in spring recruitment events. Recruitment for IFC organizations will
take place Jan. 12-26 with Spring 2020 Intake Orientation for NPHC and MGC organizations
taking place Jan. 23. More information about registration and important dates can
be found on the Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
- Spring semester fee payment deadline. The deadline to pay fees for the spring semester is Jan. 8 at 5 p.m. Fees can be paid in person at the Bursar’s
Office, online via the student’s Self Service Carolina account or by establishing
a payment plan for the semester.
- Student Involvement. The Leadership & Service Center will host their annual Student Leadership & Diversity Conference Feb. 15 in the Russell House University Union. Students should use this as an opportunity to grow their leadership skills and network with professionals from UofSC and other area campuses. Registration ends Jan. 30.
Share this Story! Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about