The University of South Carolina’s Board of Trustees met on Tuesday (Dec. 13). Here’s
what actions they took at the meeting.
Contracts and projects approved
Several committees recommended, and the full board approved, various contracts and projects, including:
- a service agreement for assistance in managing a new grant from the US Dept. of Education between USC Beaufort and The Evaluation Group,
- a service agreement for the provision of natural gas to the university’s campus between Dominion Energy South Carolina, LLC and USC Facilities,
- renovation of the Taylor House for use by several programs in the School of Law,
- enhancement of the Jones Physical Science Center third floor instructional biology labs,
- expansion and renovation of the USC Upstate Library/Classroom Building,
- a contract extension for Pete Lembo, associate head football coach and special teams coordinator,
- and an employment contract for Dowell Loggains, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
The board also approved past meeting minutes and revisions to board bylaws and policies.
Academic modifications across the system
Several system institutions received approval for tenure and promotions, as well as academic modifications. Columbia campus approvals include:
- 35 tenure and promotion recommendations,
- a tenure transfer to another academic unit,
- three hires with tenure,
- nine honorary academic titles,
- a new undergraduate certificate in Digital Studies,
- merging of three existing programs into one M.A. in Psychology with three concentrations,
- addition of two concentrations to the M.Ed. in Language and Literacy,
- addition of a concentration to the M.E. in Civil Engineering,
- changing the name of the School of Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management to the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management,
- and termination of the Postbaccalaureate Certificate in Biomedical Studies.
Aiken campus approvals include:
- addition of 100 percent online delivery for the B.S. in Business Administration with concentrations in Finance and Marketing,
- and changing the Department of Mathematical Sciences’ name to the Department of Computer Science, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Upstate campus approvals include:
- one hire with tenure,
- four honorary academic titles,
- a new Doctor of Nursing Practice program,
- and a new Center for Justice and Society.