Application Deadline has passed for the Spring 2023 cohort.
- Assist faculty and GTA/IAs to become communicators and facilitators that interlock inclusion and diversity in the experiential process of classroom pedagogy
- Assist classroom facilitators in recognizing themselves as part of an intercultural environment wherein behaviors, considerations, and understandings develop reciprocally (informed in part by individual and experiential differences)
- Help classroom facilitators develop an understanding that both student and faculty are part of the complex and inclusive environment of creating and fostering knowledge
- This series is progressive in that one workshop session builds on the other
- Each workshop session will run for 1-hour and 15-minutes
- Registrants must commit to attending all sessions
- Delivery Mode: The sessions are being delivered in a face-to-face format. There will not be a virtual option available.Participants will need to come to the offices of the Center for Teaching Excellence to attend.
- Each workshop session will:
- Build intercultural consciousness
- Support the development of inter-personal communication skills in a diverse environment
- Encourage diversity and inclusion in classroom pedagogy
- The program can accommodate up to 16 participants
- Sessions are heavy in lecture, group exercise, and group work
The Intercultural Inclusion and Diversity Learning Series is open to Faculty (Tenure-tenured, professional track and adjunct faculty) and GTAs on the UofSC Columbia Campus, Palmetto College Campuses, and UofSC School of Medicine Campuses.
Intercultural Inclusion and Diversity Learning Series Partners
Spring 2023 Dates
- Session 1 - Thursday, January 26, 2023 - 2:20 PM - 3:35 PM
- Session 2 - Thursday, February 9, 2023 - 2:20 PM - 3:35 PM
- Session 3 - Thursday, February 23, 2023 - 2:20 PM - 3:35 PM
- Session 4 - Thursday, March 16, 2023 - 2:20 PM - 3:35 PM
- Session 5 - Thursday, April 6, 2023 – 2:20 PM – 3:35 PM
Fall 2022 Dates
- Session 1 - Thursday, September 1, 2022, 2:20 pm - 3:35 pm
- Session 2 - Thursday, September 15, 2022, 2:20 pm - 3:35 pm
- Session 3 - Thursday, September 29, 2022, 2:20 pm - 3:35 pm
- Session 4 - Thursday, October 20, 2022, 2:20 pm - 3:35 pm
- Session 5 - Thursday, November 3, 2022, 2:20 pm - 3:35 pm
Learning Series Themes
Session 1: World Traveling/Crossing Borders
In this session, participants will learn a basic theoretical method of fostering inclusion in a diverse classroom. Workshop questions and exercises will help participants understand the insider vs. outsider status, perceptions and overcoming negative perceptions in the classroom. The goal of this session is to build a better understanding of inclusive classroom styles.
Session 2: The Logos of Inclusive Thinking
In this session, participants will understand and learn how to foster an inclusive classroom. They will also learn how to activate reform and inclusive campus/classroom environment. The goal of this session is to help build intercultural consciousness in the classroom and the university campus.
Session 3: Dialogues in Intercultural Diversity
Participants in this session will engage in exercises that help them understand culture, intercultural self, cultural interactions, and cultural communication in a diverse classroom. The goal of this workshop is to support the development of effective inter-personal communication skills in a diverse classroom.
Session 4: The Ethos in Understanding Yourself Interculturally
In this session, participants engage in exercises that foster classroom inclusion by way of understanding categories, language, and labels as re-constructive tools in intercultural development in the classroom. Workshop questions and exercises will allow participants to experience the effects of labels and categories in a classroom.
Session 5: Experiential Pedagogy: Embracing an Intercultural Classroom Style
In this session, participants learn to design a method that foster inclusive and intercultural classrooms. Participants will use one or more of the multiple designs presented in this workshop to create their own intercultural and inclusive classrooms.
About the Facilitator
Dr. Florencia V. Cornet is the Intercultural Inclusion and Diversity Learning Specialist in the Opportunity Scholars Program at UofSC. She has 14 years of teaching experience that interlock inclusion and diversity in the experiential process of classroom pedagogy. The experiential component in her intercultural teaching methods also include Study Abroad in the Netherlands in 2019. In addition, Dr. Cornet is an affiliate faculty with the African American Studies, Women’s and Gender Studies, and Latin American Studies Programs. In 2018, she received the AAAS-Talented Tenth Award for Professor of the Year. In 2022, she received the NASPA Palmetto Awards for Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.