Honors Session at New Student Orientation (Day 2)
During the University’s New Student Orientation program, you will learn a lot about the University as a whole and get information valuable to your specific major. Orientation is split up into two days; the first day will consist of general university programs. In the afternoon of the second day, there is an Honors College session that is led by staff and student ambassadors. This session is mandatory for you to attend and usually ends by 4pm.
Honors Advisement and Course Registration
As an Honors College Student, you have priority registration for Fall 2018 courses over other incoming freshmen. Honors College advising and course registration is conducted by phone for incoming freshmen between May 14 – June 8. In this 30 – 45 minute phone appointment, you will be advised on courses for your major and honors requirements and will be enrolled in classes for the Fall 2018 semester.
Prepare for Your Appointment
- Allot at least 45 minutes for your honors advisement and course registration appointment. Avoid traveling in a car during your appointment.
- Make sure you have Internet access and will have a computer available during the appointment to view major and honors requirements.
- Familiarize yourself with all degree requirements of both the Honors College and your specific major using the university bulletin.
- Select your Honors courses, then use Schedule Planner in my.sc.edu to build a mock schedule prior to your advising phone call.
Sign up for your honors advising and course registration appointment:
- Complete the Math Placement Test. (Even if you have a math AP credit.) All students must meet the prerequisite for any collegiate math course that they take at USC. We will not be able to enroll you into a math class until you have completed the MPT. In order for the Honors advisor to see your results, please take the test at least 2 days prior to your Honors advising appointment.
- Complete the Pre-Orientation Advising Worksheet and upload this to the Honors College Freshmen Info webform by May 11 to receive the web link to schedule your advisement and course registration appointment.
- Register online for the Foreign Language Placement Test to take when you arrive on campus.
- Chat with your Honors Advisor via phone!
If I am playing a collegiate sport, how will my classes be scheduled so I can attend practice?
We have several Honors College students who play a collegiate sport at the University. Prior to your advising appointment, contact your coach/assistant coach and ask for the practice schedule. You can use schedule planner to add these times and build a fall schedule.
What if I am participating in the Carolina Band and my practice schedule conlficts with an afternoon class?
Contact the USC Band Office at 803-777-4278 or email@example.com.
How do I report AP/IBs cores that I have not received?
We want you to report the score you think you will receive when you submit the Pre-Orientation
Worksheet. Honors students are usually correct in their guess based on their academic
If my scores change, what should I do?
Contact your Honors advisor so he/she can make any adjustments with your schedule..
I am unsure about my major. Can I change it before or after New Student Orientation?
Yes. To change your major, contact the Office of Admissions at 803-777-7700 and ask to speak with an Admissions Counselor. You will be able to change your major at New Student Orientation.