Although it is not required, it is recommended that all law students have health insurance. The University's group health insurance plan is available to law students and their dependents.
The University's plan is sponsored by AIG. If you are interested in purchasing health insurance or would like more information, please visit Insurance for University of South Carolina - USC site.
There are two distinct ways that you can purchase health insurance through the university. You can read about them in greater detail below. Regardless of which way you pay for your insurance, if you want to maintain it you will need to renew it each semester to ensure continued coverage.
Please contact the Student Health Services office if you have any questions regarding health insurance. For all other questions, please contact Samantha White, Director of Student Affairs, at 803-777-8768.
Two Ways to Pay
- Go to Insurance for University of South Carolina - USC site
- Select "Summer Enrollment for NEW students" located under the "Enroll/Waive" section
The University of South Carolina offers another way for law students to purchase health insurance. This can be done through Self Service Carolina (SSC).
- Log into SSC
- Go to account information and click optional fees
- Select the term (e.g. fall, spring) and insurance is an option to add to your bill
- Go to the Insurance for University of South Carolina - USC site, click on "Summer Enrollment for NEW students" located under the "Enroll/Waive" section
- Read the statements in RED
- Check box #2
- A box on the bottom right will light up saying MANDATORY plan.
- Continue to the next page where you will be entering your personal information. When you have submitted your information, you should receive an instant screen message that you have successfully enrolled and a confirmation number appears on the screen. If you do not receive this message you will need do the enroll process again.