January Monthly Tips
By Office of Parent & Family Programs, email@example.com, 8008686752
- Career Center. Some students may question their choice of major at this time in the academic year.
Encourage your student to visit the Career Center to discuss various career options and what to consider when selecting a new major.
The Career Center works with employers on a daily basis who are looking for UofSC
students to fill their internship and full-time positions. Encourage your student
to attend the Gamecocks: Get Hired! Career Fairs Jan. 23 and Jan. 24 at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center.
- Drop/Add date. Remind your student that the last day to change/drop a course without a grade of
“W” being recorded for the spring 2019 semester is Tuesday, Jan. 22.
- Fraternity recruitment. Men’s spring fraternity recruitment will take place Jan. 14-27. More information
about registration and important dates can be found on the Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
- Holiday closing. There will be no classes Monday, Jan. 21 in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Day. University offices will also be closed. Encourage your student to give back to
the community in his honor with the MLK, Jr. Day of Service hosted by the Leadership & Service Center Saturday, Jan. 19.
- May graduation. Is your student planning to graduate in May? Remind them that the last day to apply for May graduation is Feb. 17. Students should check with their advisors on the application process.
If you're coming from out of town, be sure to review the ceremony dates and times for your student’s college/school and reserve your accommodations soon.
- Parking permits. If your student didn’t have a car on campus during the fall but will have one for
the spring semester, encourage them to get a parking permit from Parking and Transportation Services before classes begin.
- Residence hall openings. Residence halls open for the spring semester Jan. 9 at 8 a.m. and Greek Village opens
Jan. 13 at noon. Meal plans through Carolina Food Co. will be available for use starting Jan. 10.
- Shuttle schedule. With the beginning of a new semester, students are figuring out how to get from class
to class. The Carolina Shuttle runs during the day, and the Evening Shuttle helps
students safely get around at night. Encourage your student to review the shuttle schedules as they plan for the semester.
- Spring semester fee payment deadline. The deadline to pay fees for the spring semester is Jan. 9 at 5 p.m. Fees can be paid in person at the Bursar’s
Office, online via the student’s Self Service Carolina account or by establishing
a payment plan for the semester.
- Student Involvement. The Leadership & Service Center will host their annual Student Leadership & Diversity Conference Feb. 2 in the Russell House University Union. Students should use this as an opportunity to grow their own leadership skills and network with professionals from UofSC and other area campuses. Registration ends Jan. 17.
Share this Story! Let friends in your social network know what you are reading about