Posted April 26, 2017
The Student Advertising Federation (SAF) announced the winners of the 17th Annual Student Ad Show at their awards program on April 25. The annual competition is endowed by Advertising Professor Bonnie Drewniany in honor of Distinguished Professor Emeritus Jerry Jewler.
Professor Drewniany was very impressed by the innovative use of media and the strong production value of the entries.
"This year’s show featured virtual reality, apps, gifs and social media, which didn’t exist when I established the award show in 2000," she said. "Although the media vehicles have changed over the years, the goal of the competition has remained constant. The messages must be persuasive, unexpected and based on consumer and brand insights."
SAF is the USC student chapter of the American Advertising Federation. Membership provides valuable insights into the world of advertising, connections and even job opportunities to help propel advertising careers.
The Student Winners
Best of Show - $500
- CreateAthon@USC team of Becca Maurer, Laney Cannon, Chelsie Kelly, Hailey Mitchem, Georgie Beers, Devon Quinn, Adam Collins and Melissa (Jo Jo) Winkelmann. The students created a website, and all its components, for the South Carolina Victim Assistance Network. Visit the site »
The Alvarado Meat and Potatoes Award for Innovative Use of Media - $250
- The Ad Team: Daniel Delgado, Malik Brown, Hope Johnson, Devon Brmer, Deanna Brady,
David Ligon, Jonathan Barwick, Ann Katey Smith, Michael Witt, Allison Lightcap, Jacqueline
The Ad Team created a multimedia digital advertising campaign for the 2017 National Student Advertising Competition client Tai Pei. It included an app, radio spots, print and outdoor ads and social media and other digital platforms. The team also won the Best Plans Book Award in the AAF district competition and a first place in the USC Discovery Day competition.
Gold Awards - $100
Silver Awards - $50
- Cameron Higginbotham - Chanel No 5
- Anne Katey Smith - Betty Crocker Escalator
- Molly Peddicord, Emma Schaafsma, Hayden Taylor, Tony Miranda and Logan Anderson - Volvic TV
- Michael Witt - Energizer
- The Ad Team - Hole to China floor stickers
- Anne Katey Smith - Pop Tarts