The Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Media Arts provides advanced education in media theory, history, and artistic practice. The program prepares students to pursue media arts in a variety of contexts including independent, commercial, and academic. Recognizing the interdisciplinarity of the media arts, the program encourages students to foster interests in and affiliations with other disciplines across the university. Students applying to the program should have academic and/or work experience in a field related to media arts and a portfolio that exhibits a capacity for theoretical, historical, and/or cultural inquiry.
M.A. students take 21 credits of coursework in media arts, 3 credits of an elective outside of media arts, and 6 credit hours of thesis preparation. Before completing the program, students complete the master's thesis or project and must take and successfully pass a comprehensive exam in media arts.
Fall Application Deadline: March 1
- Graduate School application
- Official Test Scores (GRE or MAT)
- Official Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Personal Statement
- Link to online portfolio of media artworks
- 2 or more Letters of Recommendation (at least one must be from a professor)
- For international applicants whose native language is not English: submission of a satisfactory score on the TOEFL or the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam; or Pearson Test of English (Academic). The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 80 (computer-based) or 550 (paper-based); the minimum acceptable overall band score on the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam is 6.5; and the minimum Pearson Score is 59.
Areas of Study
- Filmmaking/Moving Image Art
- New Media Art
Note: Successful applicants to the graduate program in Media Arts typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale and acceptable scores on either the Miller Analogies Test (35 and above) or the GRE (total score of 170 and above). These numbers are provided as guidelines; meeting the minimum GPA and test scores does not guarantee admission. All parts of an application are carefully considered in admissions decisions.