What will I study?
This 100% online master’s program in Language and Literacy will prepare you to become a specialized literacy professional. This Master’s degree program is the only program in the state in which a student can earn coursework for all three state-approved literacy certifications (literacy teacher, literacy coach, literacy specialist). As part of the 30-hour program, you will complete all required courses for the Literacy Teacher and Literacy Coach add-on certifications, and with one additional course, all courses needed for the Literacy Specialist. No other program in the state provides coursework for all three certifications within a single Master’s program.
Through this program, you will learn how to assess individual readers and writers and develop curriculum to meet student needs by working with learners and other educators. You will also engage in a blend of theoretical, field-based, and research-based experiences with a focus on diverse learners and evolving conceptions of literacy in 21st century schools.
What kinds of work will I be able to do?
After you graduate from this program, you will be prepared to be a highly qualified literacy professional and be able to meet the demands of varied leadership positions. You will be prepared to serve as a:
- Reading/literacy teacher: Primarily responsible for planning, teaching, and evaluating instruction for students having difficulty with reading or writing at all levels (pre-K–12);
- Literacy coach: Primarily responsible for improving classroom instruction by supporting teacher learning and facilitating literacy program efforts; and
- Literacy specialist/coordinator: Primarily responsible for developing, leading, and/or evaluating the school or district literacy program.
Special Tuition Rates
South Carolina certified teachers pay a reduced tuition rate.
Out-of-state students admitted to this program pay regular South Carolina resident tuition rate.
|South Carolina Certified Teachers||All Other Applicants|
|Per Credit Hour||$515*||$572.25|
|Estimated Total Program Tuition including Fees||$17,146*||$18,863.50|
* This rate applies for SC resident certified teachers completing fewer than 12 hours per semester. Fall I and II together is considered one semester, Spring I and II together is considered one semester, and all summer sessions are considered one semester.
These fees and rates are subject to change and are effective for the 2021-2022 Academic Year.
Most students in this program receive assistance through loans and other forms of aid. Complete your FAFSA to be considered for these aid programs.
South Carolina Teacher's Loan Information for 2022
Each year, the state of South Carolina creates a pool of funds which teachers can use towards their graduate student loans. For 2022, Literacy continues to be designated as a critical need area. This means as a Language and Literacy student, you might be eligible for the SC Teachers Loan, which can be forgiven based on critical subject area.
Courses are offered online in a convenient 8-week format.
Core Courses (27 semester hours)
You will learn the theories and methods for teaching literacy, which will help you work with PreK-12 students in both English language arts and content area classrooms. You will learn and practice reading and writing assessment with students in a practicum setting and develop literacy curricula to meet student needs. You will learn to incorporate digital and other media into classroom instruction. You will learn to work with families, communities, and the school to develop literacy programs as you prepare to become a specialized literacy professional.
Research (3 semester hours)
You and your advisor will select a course in educational research appropriate for you.
Typical Program of Study
Language and Literacy (27 hours)
- EDRD 714 – Critical Foundations of Literacy Instruction
- EDRD 715 - Instructional Strategies for Reading
- EDRD 716 - Foundations of Reading Assessment
- EDRD 730 - Teaching Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- EDRD 750 – Literacy Curriculum Development
- EDRD 760 – Literacy Research and Inquiry
- EDRD 776 – Coaching within Classrooms: Improving Teaching and Literacy Instruction
- EDRD 783 – Literacy Leadership and Supervision
- EDRD 796 - Teaching Reading and Writing to ESOL Learners: Theory and Practice
Research (3 hours)
- 3 hours in research as approved by advisor