Make a Difference. Become a Teacher. Earn certification in just 12 months!
This program is for anyone with a bachelor’s degree who now wants to become an elementary school teacher. Whether you graduated with your bachelor’s degree years ago or are just finishing an undergraduate program, this degree can help you reach your goal.
The Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary Education will prepare you to teach grades 2-6. You will learn how to engage children in inquiry to facilitate learning, develop curriculum, and to collect and interpret student data to inform instruction
Unique Features of the Master of Arts in Teaching Program
- Be immersed in the work of teaching while completing degree requirements.
- Benefit from embedded field experiences in diverse school settings.
- Learn and practice research supported teaching approaches under the guidance of world class educators.
- Exposure to assessment-driven instruction that focuses on children’s needs.
- Take part in effective relationship building with students, families, and colleagues.
- Enhanced salary potential by starting teaching career with a master’s degree
- Graduate with South Carolina Read to Succeed endorsement
Degree Requirements (33 credit hours)
- EDRD 600 (3) - Foundations of Reading Instruction
- EDEL 701 (3) - Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for the Elementary Classrooms
- EDPY 705 (3) - Human Growth and Development
- EDTE 733 (6) - Reading and Language Arts in Early Childhood and Elementary Education
- EDTE 771 (3) - Studies and Internship I in Teaching Math-Early/Elementary Education
- EDEL 743 (3) - Studies and Internship I in Teaching Social Studies–Elementary
- EDEL 744 (3) - Studies and Internship in Teaching Science–Elementary
- Internship (Student Teaching):
- EDEL 790 (9) MAT Internship in Elementary Education
- Minimum undergraduate GPA (grade point average) of 2.50 on a 4.00 system.
- Successful interview with Elementary program faculty
- Pre-requisite courses as determined by program faculty. Contact Michele Myers, M.A.T. Program Coordinator, at email@example.com for more information.