Nine alumni from the School of Law at the University of South Carolina have been named recipients of the 2022 Compleat Lawyer Awards and will be recognized at a ceremony Thursday, April 14 at the National Advocacy Center.
“We are proud to honor this year’s recipients, each of whom are exceptional lawyers in the profession and servant leaders in their communities,” School of Law Dean William C. Hubbard said. “Their dedication, commitment and spirit of giving in all facets of their lives exemplify what it means to be a Compleat Lawyer.”
The awards are given in three categories based on years in practice: Platinum (31 years or more), Gold (16 to 30 years) and Silver (15 years or less).
This year’s Compleat Lawyer Award recipients are:
- 1980 alumnus H. Woodrow Gooding, Gooding and Gooding, PA in Allendale
- 1985 alumnus John D. Kassel, Kassel McVey in Columbia
- 1986 alumna Erna Patrick Womble, Clearly Bespoke Strategies, Inc. in Winston-Salem, NC
- 1992 alumna Susan M. Gaddy, Gaddy Law Firm, LLC in Ocean Isle Beach, NC
- 1998 alumna Ashby Lawton Jones, Kinard and Jones, LLC in Lexington
- 2002 alumnus Robert W. Wilkins, Clemson University in Greenville
- 2014 alumnus Lamar J. Fyall, Special Assistant US Attorney for the City of Columbia
- 2008 alumnus Edgar M. Pinilla, Pinilla Law Firm, PC in Columbia
- 2007 alumna Carmen H. Thomas, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP in Columbia
Established in 1992, the Compleat Lawyer Award is the School of Law’s highest recognition of professional achievement and civic leadership to the school’s alumni. Recipients are nominated by members of the Bar or by the public and are chosen by a committee comprising the chief justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court, the chief judge of the South Carolina Court of Appeals, the president of the South Carolina Bar, the School of Law’s dean, and the president of the Law School Alumni Council.